Fifth

"Hey." I said. I was sitting at my step dad's work's top floor balcony. There was no fence. I just sat on the edge. I saw Sadie, they showed me a picture of her. "You're Sadie."

"Yes I am. You're...Rebecca?"

"Yeah."

"Cool...um...How was club meet?"

"Good. They all missed you."

"They always do. I can't go on Thursdays because I violin then I head to dance. Don't worry I'm not one of those girls."

"Okay. What can you play?"

"Lots."

"Play one, you have your violin."

"I'm getting it tuned here."

"Cool." She started to play, Fur Elise until Step Dad came in.

"Hey Becca!" Step Dad said.

"What?"

"Nothing, just got a raise!"

"Cool." I turned to Sadie. "You should finish.."

"Yeah." She cleared her throat and started to play it again.

"Good Job!" Step Dad told her. "I think I'm late for my meeting." Sadie packed up her violin and sat by me.

"You play very well."

"Thanks."

"How are you?"

"I think I'm good. You?"

"Tired. Manly sore."

"Why?"

"My step mom makes me go to the gym every Friday."

"Oh."

"I live with my step parents. My parents died when I was little. I toured the world got adopted, came here."

"Now it makes sense. Well I live with my Grandma. Grandpa owned a ranch when he was alive, now grandma does. I take care of the horses. We had employees working with the cows."

"I can see why you're called Sadie."

"Grandpa named me. He said I had a good thing with horses. Would you like the come home with me?"

"Sure. I'm here because after I go to the gym with step mom she drops me off here and step dad takes me out for lunch. Today he got me a kid's meal from McDonald's. He still thinks I'm a kid."

"Grandma knits me pink sweaters every winter even though I don't like pink anymore."

"Hey it's okay." She took a French fry and ate. It texted step dad telling him that I was going home with Sadie.

"Let's go." I follow her an office. "Hey, I need my violin tuned, I forgot how to tune it."

"You'll have to wait." The man said at the desk.

"How long?"

"An hour or two. Lessons are long."

"Okay okay, I'll come back." We left the office and went to a mini van. She pulled out the keys and started the van. She drives for a bit. I see she has a Starbucks cup in the cup holder. I pull out my phone.

"What's your number? I'll text you."

"Okay." She told me my number, I typed in and texted: REBECCA HERE! "What did you type?"

"Rebecca here!"

"Okay. I'll look for it." She laughs then she pulls into a ranch and parks the car. "To get to the house we either have to walk or ride the tractor. You choose." She grabs her phone and we get out.

"Tractor." She led me to a small green tractor I hoped on and she did too. She turned it around and towards a small, wide brown house on the distance. Since it was so loud I didn't speak.

Soon we were there. I liked the style but it was so so wide! I wished it was white and tall.

"Here's the old place. We passed the stable if you didn't see it. Jimmy likes to ride on Fridays around 2. He's my cousin. I have four younger brothers who go to boarding school. I take care of Grandma."

"Oh. I'm am only child. Because my parents died before they could have more kids."

"Yeah." She showed me her house. It was nice and dark, all wood. Her grandma was asleep on the rocking chair she was knitting. "Tis the season to be cold." She turned to me. "Are you cold?"

"Yeah."

"Let me go get some firewood. Don't wake up Grandma Laura."

"I won't. I swear on the candle club I won't."

"Okay.." She left with a box. Sadie's Grandma was asleep and snoring.

"Joy." I start to hum. It's been 3 minutes. I open the front door to look for Sadie. She was walking towards the door.

"Hey." She said. "I dropped some wood over there. Could you go get some?" She said pointing to the stable.

"Sure." I walk over to the stable. I pick up the wood and walk into the stable. There's a Morgan horses, about four of them. I take one, on the stable door the horse's name was Zoom.

I walk out and get to the house. I put the wood in the fire.

"So yeah."

"I got to go home. I got to study for my science quiz."

"Kay. See you..?"

"Monday."

"Monday...got it."

"Bye!" I said and left. I called for the cook to come pick me up.