"Don't be stupid." I joked. "I never have anything to do, you'll soon learn that I lead a pretty dull life. Today, at the beach and at dinner, and even now it's all been fun. Probably the most fun I've had since moving here."

"Really?"

"Trust me."

"I do."

Noah eyes were still on me again and they were captivating, I wondered if he realised just how adorable he was. From my short time knowing him, I doubted it because along with endearing he'd also mastered the art of being humble and modest too.

"Should we get going then?' he asked, already putting his knees back down.

Checking the time on my watch, the minutes betraying my wish for it to still be early, I nodded and got up.

"You want to borrow a jacket or something for the ride home?" Noah said, lifting a navy beanie hat from the dresser and sliding it over his head.

I liked the way it made his hair stick out, over his ears and across his eyes although I wasn't sure why he was needed to wear it, especially when it was still warm outside.

"I'll be okay, it's not that far to walk." I said before realising he'd said for the ride home. Not for my walk home.

"Ride?" I repeated back to him.

"Yeah, we can take my bike." Noah replied. "You'll have to get on the back but I'd rather know that you got home ok than have you walk the streets alone."

As Noah led me out back into the now dark hallway, and to the side of the house where his bike was, I saw a jumper slung over his shoulder.

Removing the lock and setting it down, he passed it to me and said here you go, just in case.

Getting on the back of the bicycle, my feet only just reaching the back pegs, I pulled the jumper over my head and tucked my hair back. Noah looked over his shoulder and smiled.

"Do I look silly?" I sighed, the long sleeves swamping my arms.

"It suits you." he said softly before checking I was firmly on board and not about to fall off.

Riding through the town at night was quite breath taking, as we cut through the night air, up sloped dark streets and dimly lit corners.

As the canopy of stars lit the way, Noah again pointed out the different names for each. I'd worried that maybe it wasn't the best idea to ride with only one hand as he did, but he managed it skilfully.

Taking a short cut through a narrow drive, Noah told me why the stars fascinated him so much.

"The light from stars takes millions of years to reach Earth." he explained softly. "Therefore, when you or I look up at them it's literally like looking back in time."

If I could have bottled his words and the way he looked back at me as he spoke, I would have. It was a moment I knew I'd want to remember for all my days, to look back upon like the stars, my own way of going back in time and reliving the night that was quickly slipping away.

"I like the way you explain things Noah." I whispered, close to his hear so he would hear me. "Usually stuff like that goes over my head, but somehow with you it sticks - I feel smarter already." I finished, hoping he'd continue to educate me on what lay above and beyond us.

The rest of the short journey back Noah had honoured my request and by the time we reached the lawn of the bungalow, I knew more about stars and constellations and how each were held by their own gravity - something else Noah also found fascinating.

Struggling to get out of the jumper he'd kindly loaned me he told me I could keep it for now.

"No it's okay, you'll probably never get it back if I do or Poppy will find it and turn it pink in the wash." I tried to joke, because as lovely as it was to be caressed by something of his, I knew that it was too early to be doing that, with him, and his stuff.

"Alright, well it was great to see you again today and hang out." Noah said, folding the returned jumper over the handlebars. "And thank you for keeping a straight face whilst I played earlier."

"Thank you for inviting me, and for dinner and for a wonderful performance." I whispered, hoping my genuine appreciation was clear.

I found myself in the same exact spot, since the last time I'd seen him and it was to end the same way, I promised as I recited the word  f r i e n d s  to myself.

Stepping back from him, I thanked him again for getting me home and made my way up to the porch.

"Next time, I'll play something better I swear." Noah said quietly laughing, his eyes wide. "It'll be like you're listening to Bob Dylan!"

"I don't know who that is." I called back.

"Okay well like Nick Drake then."

"Nope, I don't know him either." I shrugged, watching Noah's face distort in disbelief.

"Wow, okay well maybe we need to cut back on the impromptu science lessons and get you up to speed musically, because you're really missing out." he said jokingly, rubbing the top of his head still apparently in shock at my lack of musical insight.

"Okay." I nodded back, key ready in the front door. "I look forward to it."

As he gave the same shy, endearing smile that had almost become his trademark, I waved and disappeared inside, leaving the boy who had warmed my heart for the night, outside in the cold and under the stars.

. . .