My mind had a way of storing away details like that - along with the way he always looked down if I complimented him or how he'd self-consciously brush at the scar on his left cheek. All of it just added to how much I liked knowing him.

I liked how he could be upbeat and bold one minute, but timid and shy the next, with hints of something deep and meaningful beneath the mop of hair that fell into his eyes no matter how many times he'd try to sweep it away.

My Mom had always said the blushes that haunted my own cheeks were not endearing or cute and how it made people around me feel uncomfortable when it happened.

I realised, as I watched him that she was wrong, because I felt more relaxed and comfortable in Noah's presence when he was that way. I found it charming and cute.

I hoped he felt the same about me too but I didn't have the courage to ask him if he did.

"Thanks for not heckling during my butchering of that classic song." he laughed, as we sat together, the cushions acting as a barrier between our thighs. "I royally fucked it up in the middle section."

"If you did, then I hadn't even noticed because you were that good." I assured him, hoping he'd notice how I'd emphasised the last word.

"Do you play anything?" Noah enquired.

"Used to play piano when I was about eight, for a couple of weeks until my Mom couldn't stand my own butchering of Edelweiss and sold it." I confessed, remembering how mad I'd been at her, and disappointed at how quickly she'd given up on me.

"I'm sure you weren't that bad but I can't lie - that song is annoying even when it's played properly." he said jokingly, his brown eyes wide to match his grin.

"You're right, but honestly hand on heart you play really well. If I didn't have the sense to know that I'm not really the musical type then I'd ask you to teach me something." I let the words slip out before wishing to take them back, I hadn't meant to sound like I might have actually wanted him to.

"I can teach you some basic chords if you want." Noah offered, looking over at his guitar.

"No, it's alright." I countered back, certain that I didn't want to. "I don't even have the patience to hear myself play, so I'll spare you the hassle."

"Okay." Noah replied, his voice soft but quiet as if I'd offended him by declining the offer. "Maybe another day then."

Silence joined the cushions between us, as I racked my brains for a way to gain back his friendly conversation. Thankfully, he seemed still happy to ask me what time I needed to be home by.

"I don't have a curfew if that's what you asking." I said, amused that he had thought I might.

"Just checking." Noah smiled back, ruffling his hair.

"Although it is getting pretty dark now so I should probably head back soon." It had pained me to say it, but I also didn't want to be walking back too late into night even though I so badly wanted to savour every last minute of the day left in his company.

Bringing his knees up to his chest, and resting his head against the cold wall he softly said. "I'm sorry that tonight hasn't been... that exciting."

"Huh?"

"I don't know, I just think that spending your evening with a bunch of strangers and with another one, here-" he said quietly, picking at the bed covers. "Isn't probably that fun. I'd ask you to stay and watch a film, or something but I don't even have a television."

My Mom really had been so wrong, I thought as Noah spoke.

I'd take endearing and humble any day, if this was how it made feel.