Chapter 7: The Attempted Murder

The party carried on for the most part. With people who were wasted dancing to songs. I even saw Ezra sing the mashup karaoke version of Lucid Dreams by Juice Wrld & Eastside by Benny Blanco with Cameron and David. He looked like he was having fun. That's our boy. I couldn't help but feel like the song mirrors his entire situation. I mean he did have plans to marry Ryan but Brendon took all that away and ruined it. And Ezra felt haunted and paranoid by it as a result. To be honest, I can't blame him. I would be depressed about it too if I were in his shoes.

Now, it's after they did the whole karaoke thing. I noticed that Ezra was chatting it up with another face I haven't seen in a while. Asa. Had he moved on and finally let go of the grief at last? Who knows?

Just then, I saw a hooded masked figure in a black cloak come up behind him with a knife. I rushed at the interloper, adrenaline rushing in my veins, not wanting the life of one of my closest friends snuffed out, especially since he now has a second chance at happiness.

The guy and I wrestle for a few minutes before I managed to wrench the knife out of his hand. I got a better look at the guy as I stood up, he was actually shorter than me.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

The individual was silent as he stood up and punched me in the chest before running away. Just who exactly was that? I grunted and stumbled backward slightly. I looked at Ezra and Asa. They were just as stunned and shocked as I was. I stood up straight and dusted myself off.

"Who was that, Gavrilo?" Ezra asked me.

"I don't know but I'm getting suspicious vibes off of him." I replied as I turned to them. "But other than that, are you two ok?" I asked.

"Yeah, we're fine." Asa said.

"Ok. Good to know." I responded. I walked off while thinking about who that person, who tried to hurt both Ezra & Asa, was. I had a suspicion that it was Brendon. He always hated Ezra but I needed evidence. Oh gods! It was going to be exactly like the case we busted 5 years ago.

~*~*~*~*~

The first person that I went to was Tom. When I got there, I explained to him everything that had just happened. Luckily, he was sober enough to understand. Besides, there weren't many people who were currently drunk at this party. Just only a few. Ezra, Asa, and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

"So what do we do now?" Tom asked.

"Investigate, obviously." I responded.

We got up & I led him to the direction the guy ran. We checked the hallway. Nothing. Even went outside. Nothing.

We headed back inside. It was quite chilly outside. Well, what can I say? Fall was coming after all.

~*~*~*~*~

The first thing we did, once were outside and away from the cold, was turn off the music. This sparked up a few complaints from a few people who were dancing earlier. But we explained everything that was happening.

"Someone tried to kill Ezra and Asa. It was an attempted murder & every one of you is a suspect." I simply said.

After I said that, everyone began protesting again.

"Look, I'm sorry but an attempted murder just happened so we all gotta stick together if we don't want this to get nasty." I explained.

That shut everyone up instantly. From the silence I knew everyone agreed with me.

A/N: Just as a heads up, Chapter 8, 10, probably 11 & 12 are going to be pretty long. This is just a heads up.