... and the youth

It was outright disgusting.

Izumi didn't know whether to puke or run. Seeing her parents all googly-eyed with each other was something she never wanted to experience. Not once had they ever been romantic with each other while she was growing up-- something she was very thankful for.

"Can't you guys be less embarrassing?"

Your love-stricken smile faded as you turned to face your daughter. "But it's our job as parents to be embarrassing."

Zuko heaved out a sigh. "I'm sorry, Izumi. It's just that your mother and I haven't spent quality time like this in a while."

"You spend time with her every day," Izumi quipped. "And you guys pretend to be all happy but I hear mom screaming every night."

The both of you stared at her in silence. Screams at night?... Oh, they knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Ah you see, I'm pretty vocal in--"

Zuko slapped his hand over your mouth, silencing you before you traumatized her even more. "She's only nine! She doesn't need to know!"

"I'm old enough to know everything!" Izumi retorted.

You chuckled, "Sorry, but I have to listen to your father. Why don't you go and train with Aunty Azula?"

"Tch." Although Izumi did not want to drop the subject, she decided that some training with her not-so-disgusting aunt was in order. Doing as told, your daughter walked away to find Azula.

As you watched her figure recede, Zuko's hand snaked its way around your waist. "I can't believe she's this old already... And talking back to us."

You laughed quietly and followed his lead down the hallway, continuing your slow pace. "Good thing you're back to witness your daughter becoming a teenager."

"That's the one thing I didn't want to see."

"Oh shush. You should just be grateful that we at least have one kid," you nudged his shoulder with yours.

Your joke had him chuckling, which soon turned into a low hum. "We could try making more though."

"But aren't we kinda old?"

Zuko glanced up, scratching his chin in thought. "If I recall, Katara is actually pregnant again."

Your eyes widen. "... Again?"

"Age certainly isn't stopping her."

"Let's try it then. Then you can really be mine," you smiled darkly.

He sent you a confused glance. "But I am yours. We're married after all."

A small pout formed on your lips. "Toph told me how you had this connection with Katara when you guys traveled together..."

Zuko's eye twitched. Why was Toph randomly bringing up the moment he had with Katara in a cave? He did have to admit that there was some chemistry with Katara, but he also had chemistry with Mai! Neither were in the picture though because he was genuinely in love with you. Why should something from long ago bother you?

"You get upset over the stupidest of things," he rolled his eyes. "I'm not ever leaving you for Katara. That's nonsense."

You appeared to be in the middle of an internal debate as you grumbled under your breath. Though it was only a matter of seconds until Zuko's words fully registered and you smiled with relief.

"Yeah, she has Aang and a family either way," you nodded. "Plus, she doesn't fit with your weird personality."

Zuko sighed, "I have the weird personality?" Without a single ounce of effort, he scooped you up into his arms and continued to travel towards your bedroom. "You're one to talk, my queen."

You let out a loud laugh which echoed down the halls. Once you both were enclosed inside your room, you immersed yourselves in your so-called youth and enjoyed each other's warmth.