... and the priorities

"Congratulations, [Name]. You have passed the test," the two advisors said in unison. "You can now proceed with the wedding."

You didn't pay much attention to the old farts, not when an array of your favorite foods was placed before you. As they spoke about the wedding details, you debated on what to devour first. 'Should it be this or that... OH! THAT LOOKS GOOD TOO!'

"And your honeymoon can be on Ember Island," the two droned on.

"Sure, sure. Whatever works." You shooed the two away as you waved your hand. "Now go tend to other stuff."

They glanced at each other but ultimately obeyed your command. You didn't notice how your words now held so much power, but if you knew, you would certainly abuse it for more food-- and maybe longer break times. 'Yeah, that'll give me more time to eat!'

"Wow, you sure do take advantage of being queen," a dull voice commented.

Just by the voice's tone, you rolled your eyes. "Is this going to be a recurring thing? Because I might have to ban you from the palace."

Mai smirked as she seated herself across from you. "I heard that your speech went great yesterday." She scanned the table for something to pick on, and when she did, she began serving herself a small plate.

The hold on your fork tightened as you refrained from stabbing her grubby hands. This was YOUR food. How dare she think she can waltz in here and eat your hard earned food?! "Can you stop eating my celebratory food?"

She didn't answer as she continued chewing.

"It's one thing that my fiancé's ex-girlfriend keeps showing up, but when she eats my food, that's where I draw the line."

She stared at you. "Hmm, your priorities are interesting."

"Firebending, my nation, food, and then Zuko. What's wrong with that?" you asked, genuinely confused as to what she meant.

"HAHA! I KNEW I LIKED YOU!" another voice billowed through the dining hall.

You knew that voice, and your expression brightened. "Toph!"

After the tour, you were able to hang out with Zuko's friends. You were amazed that he was able to befriend these people since you remembered him being a stick in the mud as a kid. His group consisted of genuinely good people(again, you were amazed that they put up with him), and you ended up hitting it off with Toph.

Said woman sat beside you in an unladylike position. "I think you'll make an excellent Fire Queen with those priorities!"

"Me too!" you exclaimed.

Mai scoffed as she crossed her arms. "Look, I'm only here to give you one last warning."

"About what?" you hummed.

"About hurting Zuko. Once you find out that--"

"That I'm not his top priority?" you cut her off. You offered Toph some food before returning to the conversation. "As you can see, he's not my priority either."

"Then why are you marrying him? You obviously aren't here for the lucrative title of Fire Queen."

You sighed, "Because out of all my priorities, he's the only person on the list. Even if he isn't my number one priority, he's my number one person. For you, that wasn't enough, which is why you broke up with him. But for me, I'm more than happy being the most important person to him."

Mai remained silent as she chewed meticulously. Swallowing, she let out a long sigh. "I guess I was wrong then."

You noticed how pained she seemed, and your guarded facade fell. "For what it's worth... I believe Zuko still thinks highly of you."

She cracked a small smile. "Thanks, and for what it's worth, I'm relieved Zuko is marrying someone like you."

You heard Toph gagging in the background, and you tried shushing her by sticking a food item in her mouth. "Hey, do you want to be one of my bridesmaids?"

Mai's eyes widened. "What?"

"I just need one more. I have Azula, Katara, Toph, and Suki. I still need one more."

She sent you a wary smile. "I think I'll pass."

"Ouch, and I thought we were having a moment," you grumbled.

"HAHA! REJECTED!" Toph laughed.