viii. Return

' I've lost something, or maybe someone. I know my heart aches and my stomach tightens but the feeling of loss writhes within my bones, shaking me about until I can no longer see straight. '

Laying with her eyes closed in Bellamy's lap, Corey smiled slightly as she felt him running his warm hand over her hair as the fire light flickered across her eyelids.

"Last time I saw you," Corey heard Bellamy begin as she assumed he was talking to Clarke or Octavia "You were closing the dropship door." He continued as Corey realised he must be talking to Clarke "It had to be done."

After a few moment of silence Corey heard Clarke stir as she got up "Did you get any sleep?" Clarke changed the topic.

"It's okay, I'll sleep when we find Finn." Bellamy shook his head as he let his hand rest against Corey's cheek, not knowing that the younger girl was awake "You haven't seen him Clarke." Bellamy sighed "Losing you, the others. The war changed him. He executed the grounder that drew us the map, pulled the trigger without even blinking and walked away."

"That doesn't sound like Finn." Clarke denied as Corey heard her cousins throat tighten.

"It doesn't." Bellamy agreed "I saw what he was capable of, and still I let him go with Murphy and two automatic rifles." 

"I'm sure that had to be done too." Clarke comforted.

"When o got back to the dropship and no one was there - " Bellamy paused "We assumed it was the grounders." He sighed.

"Of course you did, you couldn't have known it was the mountain men. No one could've." Clarke reminded as the two shared a bonding moment.

"How long before chocolate cake turns into being hung upside down and drained for their blood?" Bellamy finally asked the hard question.

"I don't know." Clarke admitted "But we don't have much time." She solemnly told the older man.

"Okay." Bellamy sighed "First we find Finn. And then our people in Mount Weather." He decided as a small smile worked it's way onto Corey's face, glad to finally hear the 100's self proclaimed and highly respected leaders finally working together.

"Then Lincoln." Octavia spoke up from across the fire as Corey cracked open her eyes to look at the younger girl "I think we've slept long enough." She grunted as she stood, packing her belongings as Corey let out a sigh and stood aswell.

"Come on, she's right." Corey yawned before reaching down for Bellamy's hand as he smiled.

Hours later when the sun had risen in the sky, the four friends found themselves approaching the sound of gunfire and screams as they closed in on Lincoln's village.

Sharing an alarmed look they all ran ahead expecting the worst, nothing could have prepared Corey for what she saw next though.

Finn stood, gun raised where he'd been shooting at the grounders. All unarmed and many injured or dead as Corey stumbled forwards at the sight, dropping down beside a man and woman both with severe bullet wounds to the chest. 

"Oh my God." She gagged at the sight as blood began to soak her hands and knees, Bellamy pulling her up and away from the pair of Grounders as Finn's eyes found the group.

Looking around at the scene in horror Corey and Bel.amy stopped beside Clarke in front of Finn as Octavia fell down beside a Grounder she knew through Lincoln.