The Safe Harbor

Protects Ships from Storms and

Is a Good Place to Hide

THE STORM didn't listen to our prayers.

The rain continued to soak us with the waves grew higher and higher. I clung onto the ropes with my dear life as I watch boys fall off and into the monster. It was hungry, it just wanted more. Fear was thick in the air as we all wondered the same thing, are we next?

I couldn't tell if the water on my cheek was from the rain or my own tears. I continued to get hammering flashbacks of the fateful night in which my father was taken. The continual pounding of the Ocean and the screams into the night. The memories came flooding back and soaked my mind like the Ocean soaking my clothes.

"What the hell is he doing?" Flake shouted to me over the roar of the monster.

Flake pointed to the Pirate King who stood on the quarter-deck, surveying the boys twisted and clinging to the ropes. His black beard was soaked with the Ocean as his dark eyes landed on Flake's eyes. I could feel the intensity of that gaze on Flake as I huddled beside him.

"He's going to get us all killed if he doesn't do something right now!" Flake shouted as the Ocean growled in response.

With that, Flake began to climb down and I had a bad feeling about where he was going. Flake gently tugged at my leg, motioning me to follow him as I remained paralyzed on the ropes. Slowly, I willed my body to follow him down from the safety of the height of the ropes. Only once in a while, a wave would reach so high to drag a boy away, but on the deck, the chances were so much higher.

Flake and I landed on the deck where more waves continued to crash. Flake's brows were knitted in concentration as we dodged the attempts the Ocean made to us. I followed Flake's exact steps and we safely made it to the quarter-deck. I clung to the railing that bordered the steps, leaving Flake to face the Pirate King alone.

"Captain!" Flake shouted over the howl of the wind, "We have to turn back, you're losing half of your crew!"

The Pirate King's eyes flashed with fury, "I don't take any d*mn orders from a lowly crew member."

Flake stood his ground as the Pirate King said, "It will be over soon. I've survived worse than this. I have over fifty years at sea, unlike you, boy."

"This isn't going to get any better, this squall is going to break the ship before it will be over," Flake said flatly, similarly to his first warning with the Pirate King.

The Pirate King stood there as I could almost see what was weighing on his mind: pride or saving his ship and possibly more lives. Would he stoop low to take advice from a lowly crew member? Or would his pride get the best of him and possibly losing everything he owns?

"Turn this d*mn ship around!" the Pirate King barked to the man at the wheel, turning away from Flake, "You're going to get us all killed!"

I could see Flake sigh with relief as the Pirate King took his frustration out on the sailor, "Take us to the Safe Harbor!"

〰〰〰

THE SHIP groaned against the hammering winds as I could make out in the distance a small island. My heart jumped at the thought of land as I continued to cling to the ropes.

The storm seemed frustrated at our attempt to safety and another gust of wind came roaring through, almost causing my hat to fall off. I smashed it further down on my head, determined to keep it on.