The Pirate Ship

The Fastest Ship on the Ocean,

It Leaves Destruction In Its Wake

THE UNEVEN pavement which leads up to my new house is the least of my worries. Even though I've tripped on one of the cement blocks at least three times now, causing my box full of my favorite books to spill over the sandy walkway and into the prickly plants. Shaking the remnants of sand out off my Shakespeare book, I stacked it back into the box before glancing up to my new home.

It was a rickety house with peeling carolina blue paint and more uneven steps with nails sticking out hazardly. The windows had sea breeze grim on it and I watched as my mom attempts to open one of the windows which seem to be really stuck. The hot North Carolina sun beats down on me as I attempt not the trip up the steps to the house. Using my leg I managed to swing the screen door open and step inside, but as the door closed, it closed on my leg and it scraped against me. Grimacing, I continued the journey to my room, past the kitchen that has a weird fishy smell and into the back of the house, where a single twin bed sat, a worn dresser and bedside table. I dumped the box next to the heap of the other boxes and return outside for more.

The biggest worry is the beast which is outside of the house. The Ocean. It runs straight to the beach which is basically my new backyard. It waits and laps at the sandy shore waiting to take someone down with it. Ever since my father drowned out in sea, my mom and I moved away from the monster, trying to free us of the memories. I don't know why, but my mom choose to move back after seven years in Northern Virginia, out of the grasp of the Ocean.

"Cordelia!" my mom's voice trailed with the wind as I begin to open the car door, "Come and help me with this window!"

I cringed at the sound of my full name, because it reminds me that I have no friends yet. All my friends call me Lia, but since I moved away I've been hearing more Cordelia than Lia. Sighing, I drop the last box in my front seat before scurrying up to the house. My mom had clipped back her short raven black hair and was still struggling with the same window.

"I think this a battle that won't be won," I said, watching her heave at the window again.

"Where is the fun in quitting if you haven't tried?" she smiled at me, but I could see the stress of moving and being so close to the Ocean in her crystal blue eyes.

"Is there anything else in the car, besides my writing box?" I asked, motioning towards at car.

"There is one thing in the back of the trunk, that I think you'd like," she said and winked at me.

A surge of excitement shoots out of my heart and my flip flops slap against the ground as I dash to the car. I open the trunk to reveal an Amazon box. Squealing, I opened it using my new house keys and I revealed a book. I thought my mom canceled all of my book orders, but she saved this one, Romeo and Juliet. Pressing the book against my chest, the day seemed to get a little bit brighter. My last copy of Shakespeare's famous play, accidently fell into a mud puddle instead of my outstretched hands. Catching is not one of my best skills.

A gust of ocean breeze whips down the street, causing my wavy golden blonde hair to jump around me. The street is silent, except for a floating voice, which murmured against the sky. This is what I get for moving too close to the monster.

Acting like a scared 5 year old, I raced back into the house, clutching Romeo and Juliet close. My mom was oblivious from the drifting voice and I convinced myself that I just made it up. I'm seventeen, I shouldn't believe in fairy tales and monsters. I moved some boxes off of the dining room table which has a window that overlooks the Ocean. Hastily, I jump up and closed the blinds over the endless stretch of blue. Not today.