The Sudden Squall

A Dangerous Storm that

sweeps in from Nowhere

I LOOKED for the first time over the side and at the monster.

Flake and I had to do some more mopping the deck after Flake may or may not have put a live baby crab into Agnus' gruel at lunchtime. Agnus had no evidence that Flake had done so, but decided to punish us anyways. Good old Agnus.

Thanks to the ointment from Spencer, my skin is slowly healing and I am becoming back to a human and less of a lobster. My skin is turning ever so slightly tan, which excites me. I've always been pale as paper and I excitedly showed Flake my progress which he laughed. He said that he couldn't even see a difference, but for me, it is like night and day. Flake has done well with the sun shining down on his skin, he is turning into a golden brown. Sometimes Flake is just too perfect.

I moved my mop in lazy circles as the sun endlessly beat down on me. I've become more accustomed to the heat, but it still is grueling without a cloud in the sky. The water from the mop quickly evaporates on the deck, so I move to soak my mop once again in the small bucket that Agnus graciously provided. With the movement, I managed to knock the contents out as the bucket went for a spin. I raced after it, watching as it dangerously rolled towards the edge of the ship.

I quickly snatched it up before it rolled under the taffrail as I stumbled and caught the rail in my stomach. I nearly screamed as I stared at the monster lurking below.

It was a stunning blue as the boat cut through the water like butter. Waves crashed against the side of the boat, 30 feet below. I felt my lunch slowly inched its way up as I remained in shock of the beast. It looked so... calm. How could this calming blue swallow up my father?

"Whatcha looking at?" Flake slid up beside me as I jumped, "You okay? Your face is even more white than you are."

I stumbled for words as my eyes remained glued to the lurching beast. Dolphins leaped from the depths of its stomach and sparkled in the sun. How are they able to escape its grasp?

"Uh, Romeo?" Flake said, gently touching my hand, "You're scaring me, buddy."

I snapped out of my transfixion and snatched my hand away. Flake gave me a curious look, but ignored my sudden motion.

"I - I," I struggled to think of a lie, but opted for the truth, "My father drowned.... I haven't... I just don't look at the Ocean."

Flake's face shifted in sympathy, "Sorry, I forgot that. There is so much beauty in the ocean and I'm sorry that your father was taken from you by it."

I turned my face down, so he couldn't see the tears springing in my eyes. Flake is so... understanding. Typically when asked about my father, people give me the half-hearted sorry look, but Flake... sounds genuine.

"What are you two doing?" Agnus' roar snapped us back from the side of the ship, "This isn't gossip time! If I catch you one more time, I'll -"

"-throw us overboard," Flake finished, rolling his eyes, "We got it. Don't get all twisted in your skirt, Agnus."

Agnus' face turned a bright red in anguish before he growled low, "One day, Flake, I'll get you for your back talking."

With that Agnus spun on his heel and marched out. I gave Flake a look and Flake simply said, "He's just jealous of my good looks."

He pretended to flip shoulder length hair over his shoulder as I snickered. Relief washed over Flake's face as I returned back to normal as we continued to mop.