Chapter Fourteen

My plans to call in stick for work today are foiled when I wake up to a text from Jack.

Jack: when you get to work, come to the back IMMEDIATELY. I need to talk to you.

I'm curious as to what this is about so I forget my hangover and decide to head in to work today.

My head thumps as I get ready and I can only hope that today's shift is quick and easy.

I head downstairs when I'm dressed and go into the living room to find my keys, but instead I find Vic asleep on the sofa. I vaguely remember him coming over last night. I don't know. I was way too drunk.

Part of me is ashamed for drinking. But a larger part of me wants to get drunk again. I haven't felt more happy, more relaxed and more at peace in a long time.

"He stayed the night." Jenna says startling me as she appears behind me. "He was worried about you."

"He's so cute when he sleeps." I sigh, trying to change the subject.

But in all honesty, he's fucking adorable. His hair is all messy and he's drooling slightly, yet he still manages to look beautiful.

"Kells, what happened last night? You swore to never drink." Jenna asks softly.

"Nothing. I just had a few drinks, like a normal person would. I thought it was about time I had my first drunken experience." I shrug, brushing it off like I wasn't trying to numb my pain.

"Babe, you were completely wasted. Vic had to carry you up to your room because your legs gave out and then you started crying about god knows what." Jenna explains.

I don't remember a lot of that so I just shrug.

"It's not the first time someone has done something weird while they were drunk. I'm fine, Jen. It was just one night." I assure her.

"That was the last time? Because I don't ever want to see you that out of it again. If you need help, come to me. Self-medicating is never the answer." she offers.

"I wasn't self-medicating!" I snap a little aggressively.

Jenna just sighs sadly and looks down at her hands.

"Do you want something for that hangover? I could fix you up some breakfast." she offers.

"No, I need to go to work." I tell her.

"Okay, just drive safely. We'll have a relaxing afternoon when you get home." she says soothingly.

"Just go to Tay's. We all know that's where you'd rather be." I mutter.

Jenna looks instantly aggravated.

"Her grandmother just died! I want to be here with you. But I can't support my girlfriend that way." she snaps.

"You don't want to be here with me. You were never around even before her grandmother died." I growl.

I storm away from her and snatch my keys off the counter.

"Well maybe I'd want to spend time with you if you'd stop moping around like its the end of the world! Vic is getting married and that sucks, but there are worse things that can happen." Jenna shouts.

Tears flood my eyes and I turn back to her, both angry and hurt.

"Why does everything have to be about Vic? Why can't this be about me?" I scream.

But maybe she's right. Maybe this is about Vic. This is Vic's fault after all. He's the reason Carter is in my life, and he's the reason I can't make Carter stop. It's all his fault.