Chapter Nine

His lips bruise my skin and a black toxin grows like a tree along my spine as it coarses through my veins.

His weight on top of me is suffocating and his fingertips cut open my skin as they glide delicately down my back.

My screams barely sound human and only intensify the longer it goes on.

Carter grabs a fistful of my hair, pulling my head back and leaning close to my ear. Suddenly everything becomes dead silent as and he whispers something so bone-chilling, so sickening that I awake from my nightmare.

"You're ruined."

My eyes crack open and I'm gulping for air as I frantically reach for the back of my shoulder where Carter had kissed me.

A shuffle in the room causes me to jump and I move as close as I can to the wall.

"Kells, you okay?" his voice is an instant relief.

My frantic blur slows and I meet Vic's soft, loving eyes. I finally focus and see Vic standing across his room with a box in his hands. He must be collecting more things.

"Kells?" he says again, seeming worried.

"Oh, shit, sorry. I had a nightmare." I croak out dropping my hands from my shoulder and wiping my face. It's moist which indicates I was either sweating or crying in my sleep, perhaps both.

"That's okay. You wanna talk about it?" he asks.

"No, it was silly." I whisper, brushing it off like it was nothing.

"Okay." he whispers back.

A tense silence falls over the room and I nervously pull my sleeves down further.

"I see you like my bed." Vic chirps.

"Yeah, it's, uh, comfortable. I'm sorry." I murmur, clearing my throat as my voice catches.

"Don't be sorry." he smiles. "Scooch over."

I move over and Vic slides in next to me. He lays does and pulls me down, holding my head to his chest.

The gesture is so simple but it's what I really needed. I'm overwhelmed with relief and gratefulness which causes me to shed a few tears. Vic doesn't seem to notice though.

"You're right. It's so comfy." Vic smiles.
I wrap my arm around his middle and hug him tightly. We lay in a comfortable silence as I let a few silent tears fall onto Vic's shirt every now and again.

"I almost forgot what this was like." Vic sighs.

"What?" I mumble confused.

"Being with you." he whispers.

My heart aches in my chest and I squeeze my eyes shut to stop the tears.

"I've missed you." I sniff.

"Hey, don't cry." he coos, tucking my hair behind my ear.

I nuzzle my face into his chest to hide my embarrassment.

"I've missed you too Kells and I want you to really understand that. I want to spend time with you, I want to watch stupid movies and I want to cuddle. I want to be around you. You don't have to miss me. I haven't gone anywhere." he murmurs.

"I know." I sniff. "I know. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry." he says softly.

I nod and smile up at him. He looks down at me and I stare at his lips. What I would give to kiss him, just once. Someone as shitty as Carter doesn't deserve Vic's love.