Chapter Six

I wake up to voices downstairs. I just listen, those voices the only thing occupying my mind.

"He's got scratches on his arms that look like they might be self inflicted but then he's got these bruises on his wrists and I don't understand how he could have done those himself." Jenna says.

I'm confused for a second but then I remember last night. My stomach tightens and I suddenly wish I had never woken up.

"Were they like fresh bruises?" It's Vic.
"Yeah. They sure as hell weren't there before I left." Jenna sighs.

Their discussion makes me nervous. They can't find out. They just can't. I need to smile and go out there like I'm fine.

My body aches as I pull myself out of bed, although I'm not in nearly as much pain as I was last night.

I sneak out of Vic's old room and go down to my room. I notice an ache in my rear and thighs which causes me to limp. My whole body is in pain.

When I enter my room, I immediately feel sick as my eyes fall on my bed, the mess and the broken lamp on the floor.

I want to cry again but I conceal my emotions so I don't get caught out on my lies.

I take a deep breath and get changed into some comfortable clothes. I find my phone in all the mess and am nervous to see that I have two messages from an unknown number.

Unknown: Vic is on his way over. Be a good boy and throw on a smile for him. You know what will happen if you don't.

I feel sick to my stomach. If I fuck this up then he's going to hurt Vic and I cannot think of anything worse. I cannot fuck this up.

Unknown: last night was fun. I'll see you next week, Tuesday ;)

His words strike instant fear from within. What does he mean by that? He's going to do it again? What do I do?

I want to just break down in that moment but I need to go downstairs and throw on smile like Carter said.

I take a breath and stash my phone in my pocket before limping out of the room. I try to walk properly but the more weight I put on my leg, the more pain that shoots through me.

I give up and just hobble down the stairs. I find Vic and Jenna talking in the kitchen. They stop when they notice me.

"Hey Kells," Vic says softly.

I don't dare meet his eyes.

"Hey, good morning. I'm having breakfast. You want some breakfast? Some Captain Crunch?" I ask, stumbling over my words nervously.

"I'm okay, thanks Kells." Vic answers.

I can feel his eyes boring into me as I go over to the cabinet to get out some cereal, although I think if I eat I'm gonna be sick.

"How are you feeling today?" Jenna asks.

"Fine." I smile. "I'm good, I slept well."

"He seems fine, Jen." Vic whispers.

"He's faking it." Jenna sighs.

I get out the box of Captain Crunch and pour it into a bowl.

"Can I see your wrist for a second, Kell?" Vic asks and I gulp nervously.

"Why?"

"I want to buy you a bracelet. Show me your wrist." he demands.

"N-no." I stammer out.

He reaches forward and latches onto my arm before I can retract it. His fingers wrap around a bruise, making me cry out in pain. He takes my hand and releases his grip on me arm before pushing up my sleeve, revealing the scattered bruises across my skin. They're a dark purple and they're swollen. There's some raw wounds from where the belt cut into my skin and from where my fingernails scratched it away.