Chapter Seventy-Nine

MITCH LOOKED around his living room at his house full of students, all of them glued to the TV as the debate began to wind-down with the closing statements of each candidate. And ever-so-slightly, Mitch smiled. He smiled because he loved his job. He smiled because he knew he was making a difference. He smiled because he remembered why he became a college professor — and this was why.

Politics used to be about ideals and values. It used to be about making America a great place. It used to be about productive discourse. It used to be about representing the best interests of the people.

Not anymore.

Now, politics is about greed. Now, it's about turmoil and take-downs. Now, it's about greed, kick-backs, and power.

And yet, Mitch still smiled. He smiled because, when he the opportunity to enter that world, he didn't. He made a conscious choice not to enter the realm of politics, regardless of his expansive knowledge. Granted, part of him wanted to at the time, but now, seeing his students grasp onto the idealizations of politics (rather than its shady realities) and seeing on TV the man who had once stood next to him at his wedding — who now appeared a mere shell of the friend he'd known for so many years — Mitch smiled and sighed. He loved where he was in life. Even though it took countless bad choices, countless tears, and countless hours of pain to get where he was, everything seemed to have worked out.

A life full of the worst choices can still have the best results.

And yet, Mitch still smiled.

But still, only one void remained. Mitch hated waking up alone. He missed Marie. He missed Ana. Essentially, he thought, he just missed the feeling of someone always being there. Toward the end of their relationship, Ana was spending nearly every night at Mitch's house, and sex was never a factor until that first night — the night of the accident.

And yet, Mitch still smiled.

He considered calling Ana, but wasn't sure if he wanted to talk to her because he still loved her or if he just needed ... someone. He missed their talks, he missed their cuddling, he missed the fun nights when they would hang out with Ashlynn. When a someone is gone, it can be difficult to discern whether it's the person who is missed or merely the idea of the person. Did he miss her, or did he merely miss the role she played in his life?

And yet, Mitch still smiled.

His students sat silently, absorbing every word of each candidate as the closing statements were being made. Some took notes, some simply listened, but all appeared enthused.

Robertson, the Republican, told them Missouri couldn't afford a tax-and-spend Liberal Democrat who wanted to walk in the footsteps of Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi. Wright, the Democrat, told them Missouri couldn't afford a right-wing extremist Conservative Republican who only cared about the upper-class "one-percent," leaving the middle class to fend for themselves and wanted to walk in the footsteps of Donald Trump and George W. Bush. Both Robertson and Wright accused Doyle, the independent of secretly being an incognito member of "the other party" (Robertson said he was secretly a Democrat and Wright said he was secretly a Republican). Regardless, both of the first two closing statements were full of attacks, put-downs, and negativity.

When they were finished, it was time for the third and final closing statement of the debate. The camera panned to the center of the stage and zoomed in on the final candidate; the words "Ray Doyle (I)" appeared across the bottom of the screen.

Mitch looked into the eyes of the man on the screen. He'd seen that look in those eyes before. He remembered that look — a look of frustration, betrayal, anger, and disappointment. Mitch could never forget that look. But this time, that facial expression — that look — was clothed in a $2,000 suit; the last time Mitch saw that look, it was clothed in worn-out sweat shorts and an antiquated "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt.

Something didn't seem right, and Mitch felt almost nervous about what Ray was about to say ... whatever it may be.