Chapter Twenty-Five

IT WAS RAINING outside, but that didn't dampen the spirits of Ashlynn and Kelli as they walked excitedly toward the arena in downtown St. Louis. All four were excited for the evening's concert, all for different reasons. Ashlynn said she was excited to see the lineup of 90s musicians, Kelli said she was excited for the social scene, Ana said she was excited, but didn't elaborate, and Mitch was excited for the simple reason that Ana had agreed to accompany him (though he kept this sentiment to himself).

It had been unseasonably warm lately as Spring was making an early appearance, coupled with the spring storms, giving concert-goers some sporadic thunder to quicken their steps through the chilly drizzle. The breeze smiled like rain and Mitch was reminded of his youth, living through a few wild and stormy summer nights. And though he walked quickly, he also walked carefully, hand-in-hand with Ana.

The thoughts which saturated his consciousness completely shut the rain and wind out of his mind. Instead, all he could think about was her hand in his, their fingers interlocked, her soft delicate skin against the palm of his hand, and he as close enough to him that – through the wind and rain – he could smell her classy, soft, and expensive perfume. For a moment, he'd become completely wrapped in his thoughts and completely forgot that his daughter was dragging him into a loud smoke-filled concert.

"Daddy," Ashlynn yelled back over her shoulder as she strode along ahead of them toward the arena entrance. "Hurry!" She gave him that excited smile she had, the one Mitch loved so much, because behind that smile sense of adventure which he saw in Ashlynn, he saw vivid shades of Marie. And then he thought of Ana again.

Snapping out of it, he quickened his step and the four of them entered the front door and presented their tickets to the ticket-taker who quickly scanned them and sent them on their way.

Upon entering the open expansive interior of the Scottrade Center, where Mitch had been many times to see the St. Louis Blues NHL hockey team play, as well as attending numerous games of the Missouri Valley Conference Basketball Championships; he was pleased to know that within the cavernous arena, as well as in the concession areas on its outer perimeter, he could obtain an adult beverage. This, in his estimation, would make the evening a bit more cohesive.

"Show me your hands," he said to the girls. Both girls looked at him, somewhat puzzled, but complied, offering both hands, palms-up. "Turn 'em over," Mitch said with polite authority. The girls complied, flipping their hands over, knuckles-up, and still looking a bit puzzled. Mitch, from his pocket, retrieved a large black permanent marker, and grasped Ashlynn's left hand, writing "NOT 21," then doing the same to her right, then repeating this on both of Kelli's hands as well.

Ashlynn grinned; Kelli grimaced.

"Those markings," Mitch said with a stern tone, "had better be there at the end of the evening." He had to speak over the pre-concert background chattering and music, but their facial expressions indicated their comprehension, though they said nothing. "Okay," Mitch said, cracking a smile, "go have fun." As they began to walk away, Mitch stopped Ashlynn and whispered in her ear, "I trust you," and gave her the grin only a father can give to his daughter.

"I know, Daddy," she replied. "Thank you."

With smiles-in-tandem, the girls made their way to their floor-level seats. Mitch and Ana walked across to their regular seats, which Mitch made sure would be in full-view of the girls' seats when he bought them. It's not that he didn't trust his daughter, he just didn't trust everyone else. He wanted to maintain his Orwellian view of his daughter.

Mitch saw Marie when he looked at Ashlynn. He smiled sentimentally as he watched her and her friend scurry into the sea of people. His train of thought, seeing Marie and Ashlynn in his mind's eye, was broken by a gentle soft hand, taking hold of his.