Chapter Ninety-Nine

GERALD MCGARRY, the Lieutenant Governor of Missouri, was a man who did not seem to fit the role. He was (at least) ten years older than the Governor and had a very extensive political résumé. In fact, some people felt like he had a better chance of winning the Governor's race than the current governor, Richard Fordham, but being the second-in-command was McGarry's preference and specialty. He carried himself with dignity and honesty; he was respected by his peers as someone who was uncorrupt, straight-forward, and easy to work with. And as a result, he played much of a behind-the-scenes role in the inner-workings of the state legislature — he kept the wheels of the legislative agenda turning.

He was somewhat aware of some of the corruption within the legislature, but never asked (nor did he want to know) any of the specifics. At times, he felt like it was a bit of a moral battle within himself regarding what he knew compared to the ramifications of what would happen if he interjected. Never did he consider the possibility of speaking-out to the public or the press regarding the corruption about which he was somewhat familiar; but sometimes, he questioned whether he should speak to certain individuals in Fordham's administration privately — including Governor Fordham himself. But in the end, Lieutenant Governor McGarry settled on the option of inaction.

Essentially, he was simply afraid to rock the boat.

But tonight, he received a cryptic phone call he could not ignore, asking to meet at his office at the Missouri State Capitol Building in Jefferson City. And considering it was election day and he'd received a call from a man he'd just seen on television, this was a meeting he was quite willing to take.

McGarry agreed to meet the men in his lower-office. This office was located down the hall, back-and-to-the-left, at the end of a tunnel below the Missouri State Capitol building — a tunnel which was guarded by a small octagonal security building; a tunnel which bore the insignia, "BE JUST AND FEAR NOT" above its entrance.

The three men entered the tunnel on foot, receiving nods from the security guard in the octagonal building as well as the guard at the door of the tunnel. They were not searched; they were expected. The men walked down the dark tunnel below the line of countless pipes and wires above their heads which expanded throughout and beyond the length of the tunnel. But at the back of the tunnel, the men made a left turn and entered a glass door. On the glass door, a brown sign read, "LT. GOVERNOR'S OFFICE B-14B." A young man in an overly-formal suit greeted them.

"Mr. McGarry is waiting for you in the Office of Constituent Services." He pointed to a conference room in front of them; the only room or office with a light on. The four men walked apprehensively into the room.

As Lieutenant Governor McGarry sat at the head of the conference room table, the darkness of nightfall covered the city outside the Missouri State Capitol Building. It was an odd (yet serene) feeling to be in this basement room with no windows when almost no one else was in the building — it was quite, calm, and dim; days in the Capitol Building often moved briskly, loudly, and hastily — legislators walked intently between their offices and the House or Senate Chambers, tour guides gave free tours of the building's art work, and free-spirited tourists wandered through the building on their own. But this was during the day. Nighttime, after hours, in this majestic 100+ year-old building carried an eerie silence.

As the men approached they saw Gerald as he took a moment to rest, relax, and enjoy the calm nature of his surroundings. Perhaps this evening is only beginning, he was thinking to himself. Perhaps this evening will get hectic. Perhaps this evening will get interesting. Perhaps this evening will change everything.

McGarry's cell phone was playing a song from one his iTunes library, "The Sun is Shining Down" by JJ Grey & Mofro. He nodded his head slowly with the 3/4-time signature and blues-like feel of the melody. He closed his eyes as he listened to the bluesy Hamond pipe organ in the background of the song. The general feel of the song seemed to relax him, shedding the stress and anxiety which he felt would surround his upcoming meeting with the people driving in from St. Louis.