Chapter Seventy-Three

MID-AUGUST turned into September as the heat began to lift from the hustle-and-bustle of Washington DC. The halls of Congress were full of brisk and fast-paced foot traffic as politicians and lobbyists filled the building for a short-term late-term legislative session aimed at hammering-out several issues. Those issues included a budgetary funding bill (which would keep the government up-and-running until at least December) as well as another pipeline vote, which would finally solidify the project and clear the way for construction to begin.

Ray's re-election campaign was also in full-swing and was operating on a bit of a hectic level ever since he'd made the big switch (from State to Federal office). Just prior to the Congressional Primary Election in July, Ray shocked the media and his constituency by declaring himself an Independent candidate rather than a registered Democrat, as he'd been his entire life, even apart from politics. Those in his campaign thought it would be a logical next step since he'd been touted in the media as the "Candidate of Compromise," so being a registered Independent would help alleviate the concern of people who would vote against him simply because of his political affiliation.

The situation, Ray thought, was politically-odd. Somehow (and he wasn't sure he wanted to know how), when he declared himself as an Independent, the Congressional tickets for the Republicans and Democrats were filled with very convenient candidates.

The Republicans, during the Congressional primary election, ended up with a far-right ultra-conservative member of the Tea Party who had whispered links to the Neo-Nazi movement. He was, of course, an upper-class white male in his late forties, a fundamentalist Christian, 100% anti-abortion, 100% pro-gun, 100% anti-tax, and probably would have been 100% pro-segregation if the issue ever arose. He was the kind of candidate who would make Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh proud.

The Democrats, also during the primary election, put forth an ultra-liberal far-far-left candidate; a mixed-race woman in her mid-thirties, a former ACLU lobbyist, and current spokesperson for the group N.O.W. (National Organization of Women). She was 100% pro-choice, 100% anti-gun, 100% pro-women's rights, 100% anti-capital punishment, 100% pro-gay marriage, and it was rumored that she may have been a lesbian herself (not that there's anything wrong with that). Additionally, she was a regular on-air contributor for MSNBC — a network known to be notoriously left-leaning.

It did not escape Ray that the candidates touted by both political parties in Missouri were so divisive on their individual political agendas that there was seemingly no possible way either candidate could achieve victory in a moderately-conservative Midwest state like Missouri. This made Ray seem more and more like the people's logical vote, especially since he was the incumbent.

Ray sat quietly on a bench in the busy hallway outside of the Congressional chamber, waiting to go in and hear members of Congress say what they would about whatever it is they wanted to ramble about, speaking mostly to hear their own voices and grandstand in front of the CSPAN cameras. In all honesty, this close to the November election, anything these people would say on the floor of Congress would be more like subtle re-election speeches rather than topical diatribes about government funding or sociopolitical issues.

He looked around and internally shook his head at all these fake people, more concerned about their re-election campaigns than the depleting condition of the nation. He'd heard from a few of his more-experienced colleagues that this mentality was even worse on the Senate side.

These people didn't work here to represent their constituents; they were here to live the rich politician's lifestyle. Almost all these people were millionaires, and not simply due to their Congressional salary.

It is alarmingly easy for those who write the laws to circumvent them.

Ray hated fake people.

He hated that these people were under the false pretense of being public servants, but only work to satisfy the whims of the special interest groups who funded their slush-funds, high-dollar lifestyles, and re-election campaigns — all in exchange for legislative votes and policies favorable to their cause and/or industry. He watched them pass by, walking intently through the halls of Congress, trailed by staffers and lobbyists; puppets on the strings of those who bankrolled their lifestyles.

He smiled at them as they gave him passing glances, knowing full-well that he despised these people and despising himself because he fit right in with them.

He lowered his eyes and sighed a deep sigh. The sound of his seemingly-endless exhaling sounded like the seemingly-endless coastline of a seemingly-endless ocean — turbulent, uncertain, and calming.