25 - "Here I am."

_______________________________

"And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones'Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs

you're the lucky ones
'Cause most of us are heaving through
corrupted lungs."

Youth - Daughter

_______________________________

XXV.
\\ REPEAT //

Arden spent the weekend locked away in her house, fearful of everything she had seen at the bonfire. Her mom was gone on a trip with a friend so it was just her by herself in the house. She didn't even hear much from Rowan, Hailey, and Elisia...and figured that they must be handling what they saw in their own ways.

Arden's mom had come back that morning, practically glowing from having a nice weekend away. It made Arden happy to see her like that...she hadn't seen her that way in a long time. They didn't have a lot of time to catch up when she got back so her mom couldn't tell her all about it, but she said that they would talk when Arden got home from school. She also said she had some news as well so Arden was curious as to what that news would be.

But first, she had to get through the school day. First period, she found herself sitting in her seat, waiting for class to get started.

Rowan walked in a few minutes after she did and sat in the seat next to her. Right away, Arden noticed that she had cut her hair above her shoulders.

"Nice haircut," Arden smiled to her, "It looks badass."

Rowan took a strand in her fingers, glancing down at it and smiling almost sadly.

"Thanks," Rowan looked back up at her, "I needed a change."

Arden nodded, understanding that completely. She couldn't tell her how many times she had to talk herself of getting another tattoo this weekend. A tattoo she didn't really need...she talked herself out of it, telling herself that she just wanted the feeling of the needle to distract herself from the pain she felt inside.

"I talked to Elisia on the way in. I didn't get any messages and neither did she." Rowan told her, "Did you?"

"No," Arden shook her head, "I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

She was never relaxed anymore. She felt anxiety when her phone chimed and felt anxiety when it was quiet.

"Have you heard from Hailey?" Rowan asked curiously, "I texted her like a million times. Elisia said she hadn't heard from her either."