8 - "We're all just trying our best."

_______________________________

"You'll never know the psychopath sitting next to you,You'll never know the murderer sitting next to you

sitting next to you,
You'll never know the murderer
sitting next to you."

Heathens - Twenty Øne Piløts

_______________________________

VIII.
\\ SCHOOL SPIRIT //

By the time Arden got home in the early morning hours from Elisia's, got in bed and let herself wind down, she ended up only getting four hours of sleep. When her alarm clock went off this morning, the only thing she wanted to do was stay in bed and sleep the day away.

But she knew she couldn't, one because she was supposed to show up to the spirit assembly for the soccer team, and most importantly, because Monkeyman threatened to do something at the assembly and if she didn't show up...things could get very bad.

So, Arden got dressed in her jersey and light colored jeans, and tied her hair up in the ribbon that had the school colors on it. On the way out of the house, she fed Koda, grabbed something to eat on the way to school, and then headed out the door.

When Arden reached the parking lot of the school, she noticed the sound of music playing from the pep band as waves of students dressed in blue and gold headed inside the school. There were their school mascots and cheerleaders outside passing out programs as people walked in.

When Arden got closer, she spotted Rowan and Hailey standing by the stairs leading up to the school and talking so she headed straight over to them.

"Is this school always this...peppy?" Arden groaned tiredly.

Rowan looked at her and smiled excitedly when she saw her jersey, "You made the soccer team?"

"I did," Arden nodded, "First game is tomorrow. I just wish I didn't have to wear this stupid ribbon in my hair."

Hailey chuckled, "I think you look great, Arden. Ribbon and all."

Arden smirked, rolling her eyes dramatically, "Thanks."

Looking around, Arden tried to see if Elisia was nearby but after scanning the crowd of students, she saw Elisia was no where in sight. She looked back at Rowan and Hailey.

"Have you guys seen Elisia?" She asked them curiously.

"I think she's already inside." Rowan replied.

Just as she said that, Hailey's phone suddenly chimed and Arden stiffened a little, knowing that Monkeyman made threats yesterday about the school assembly...and Arden was half expecting for them to have gotten a message from him by now.

"Who's that?" Rowan asked wearily.

Hailey took her phone out of her back pocket and looked down at the screen.