《Chapter 8》

Love? Ha!

You have no idea of what love is.

Why would you?

Your family is the only love you've experienced.

Is it even possible for someone like you to be adored by a man?; blind to all your flaws,

cherished every moment spent in your presence,

desired every inch of you,

treasured like gold in a mine,

much less loved.

It isn't in the cards for you, it won't be foreseen in your future...

"Meow"

Waking up from her nap to Harvey's orotund voice, she was dispirited those words were thrown at her by her own conscience. She felt somewhat helpless, the words hurt. A part of her head was throbbing, she closed her eyes again and when she opened them again she looked at her desk, laptop, stray papers, and pens.

"Oh Harvey, what am I going to do?"

He only stared at her with his light green eyes piercing into her, as if communicating through their minds.

"At least you love me, right?"

Her sad look replaced by a grin when he purred into her palm while she stroked his beautiful dark hairs. He leaned his whole body against her hand in a comforting manner. They stayed in her room for long before she got up to set up his bowls and clean his litter box. She made a list for groceries to shop for, sent a message to know how Heidi was doing at work and called her dad to inform him of the change from mornings to afternoons in her work schedule.

She went to the hospital to start her daily duties and also in hopes of distracting her mind for a while. As if on cue when on her way to help her not so favorite patient, she ran into Elijah once more. He had worn jeans and a lavender v-neck shirt complementing his riverside eyes, two paper coffee cup in hand.

"Coffee?" with his generously offered smile.

Shaking her head in denial she raised her hand up to the paper cup, "No thanks, I'm more of a tea drinker."

"I guess I'll have to donate it to a worn out nurse then," slightly shrugging his shoulders careful as to not drop the cups.

"Can't help, but be a hero huh?" she smirked his way, "again."

He chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck he looks away to the left not wanting the praises.

She thought it charming, his shyness and behavior towards her teasing, "See ya' later, Elijah," giving a short laugh.

"Oh, Mina, I'll come by the bakery soon," he added making her slow her steps.

"You better," she squints her eyes at him in threat, but with a smile on her lips then waves goodbye.

Walking right to Mr. Grumpy's room after some rhythmic knocks, she heard a few words before stepping inside.

... Silence, that's all that was heard. He had no shirt, clothes hanging on a nearby chair, she saw him with his underwear on, then looked down and at the wall. She didn't know he had just walked out the bathroom after a visit from his sister who had bought fresh clothing for him to wear this week. He'd been grateful for it and had lifted his mood to know what was happening in his life outside of the hospital.

"I said don't come in!" He relayed in his rough voice, faintly blushing and redressing himself hastily.

"Sorry, I only heard the second part..um, nice boxers," hoping her the blush hasn't climbed from her chest to her face. From what she could peek up without it seeming pervasive his navy blue, white, and red striped boxers were stylish.