《Chapter 27》

Geo was running away, from his education, his college life or so he said after he arrived at her apartment that night with no real explanation other than 'being in the neighborhood'. Mina held him by the shoulders and told him to get a grip and explain what he meant, "What exactly are you running from, where, or should I say who?"
He didn't budge, he didn't want to say what was wrong. It was never easy to admit his mistakes, he was too prideful that way. He mauled it over and defensively crossed his arms.

Mina had no other choice but to force it out of him the only way a sister could. This wasn't just about college this was the rest of his life he was talking of.
"If you don't explain to me what's going on with you I'm telling mom and dad about the five hundred dollars you owe me right now."

His face went into a panic in the blink of an eye, "you wouldn't, you made a promise." Their sibling promises were the thing they respected most in their relationship, it was in a way sacred.

"Tell me, Geoffrey."

He spat everything out about gambling money, the problem he had, and the mistakes he made.
Mina couldn't believe what she heard, this was her little brother talking about a middle-aged man's mid-life crisis. But she was going to fix it even if it took them all night. She packed a bag and prepared to drive to his college dorm. It wasn't too far but the timing was terrible. They knew she wouldn't be back home until the next day, so she sent Noel a text she'd be there later than expected to see the painting. She'd explain everything to him tomorrow.

It was street racing, Geo was gambling away his money, her money, to bets on street racing which were both very much illegal. Stupidity was not lost near this college campus. It was on a back road, separate from the highway or any main roads that lead to the campus. It was hard to see because of all the forest-like trees surrounding it which made it perfect to conceal. It was quite literally a dead end.
"You'd think these college kids would know better but..." she trailed off knowing he got the point.

"And now the race you've all been dying to see tonight. Rex versus Zeus!" exclaimed the loudest man there looking like a makeshift announcer from a game show. Mina guessed this was some sort of big race. And she was right as to her left she heard a group of people and their bets being spoken about who was more likely to win the race.

She narrowed her eyes at her brother and with her hands on her hips she used her motherly tone to scold him."Who of these people did you give your money to? We're getting it back right now and you are never coming back here again."
She waited for Geo to point out the leader of this damned gambling addiction. When he did they marched over to the guy and pushed anybody out of their way to many protests she frankly didn't give a crap about. "Get the cash and hand it to me. I don't care if you have to beg for it."

Geo's eyes went wide at her words, right in front of everyone, to say it was embarrassing was an understatement. However, he knew she was not kidding and he did as he was told.
"I'm sorry." he felt so ashamed, he could barely look her in the eyes after all of this. He handed her the cash and watched her hands as she locked it away in her purse.

"For what? You're the one who keeps doing this and throwing all your money at them."
They made their way back to where she parked the car, she made sure her purse was glued to her body to not get pickpocketed by these hooligans, or so-called race fans.
Once in the car with the engine on they sat there with a steady beat of silence. Until Geo broke it with a question that was burning in his mind.
"Are you still going to tell mom and dad?" he knew the lecture he would receive and it would be never-ending. Once they knew their kids had made a mess in their lives they would forever let you relive it.

"...No." she also knew exactly that, and she didn't wish that on her little brother, even for all of this mess. "But, you're done with this shit, okay? Look at me."

He stared into her eyes, so sincere but still angry as hell.
"You're going to work, college, and back. This gambling, you're done." with a final look, her voice spoke firmly about the subject at hand, he knew his unhealthy new hobby was truly over.

Geo guided them back to the dorm room that he shared with one other student, Cortez; a first-year automotive engineering major who didn't give out his first name to anyone. They didn't talk much but Geo knew that Cortez was definitely in the street racing crowd, Mina didn't need to know that though. She thanked him as he headed out of the dorm and to someone else's, she didn't ask him to give up his bed for Geo but she didn't feel like sleeping on their dorm's floor either. Geo brought out some extra sheets and blankets for her wanting to make sure she was comfortable in his bed. She told him she would change the sheets on his bed herself because she didn't trust him when he said he didn't bring girls into his dorm room. Mina went to college. She knew exactly what went on in those four years. They had a nice laugh about it before they took turns getting ready in the bathroom. He went out like a light after his head hit the pillow, but Mina stayed awake in thought. She was still trying to wrap her head around all of tonight's events. There needed to be a plan now. This could not happen again, not to her brother. But how could she be sure he wouldn't gamble money away again, that was the thousand-dollar question.