Chapter 2 - The Cat Burglar

I dropped flat on my back on my room, with the tiny piece of paper burning a hole through the pockets of my hello kitty pajamas. After Erica, the dead girl, Catherine Guide, best friend found her dead, someone called the cops, and they ruled it as an accidental death. I would have believed it too, had I not gone into the bathroom, and noticed the piece of paper sticking out of the dead girl's pocket, with five words on it. Curiosity killed the Cat, Cat.  

So now, I was lying on bed, wondering what to do with the information, since for some reason I knew I couldn't carry it to the police. And there was no way I was going to be able to answer why I had taken the note out of her pocket without looking guilty myself. It was almost midnight on a Saturday night, so I wouldn't be able to just call anyone, since they might be asleep. Who do I know would be awake this hour? Then a thought hit me. Sometime between the dead girl being found, and Sophia and I leaving after the police had decided to let everyone go, Nolan and I had switched numbers. Yeah, the guy moves quickly, but it's not like he likes me like that or anything, he just offered to help me with my depleting calculus skills. So I rolled on my side, picked up my phone and after about a minute and a half hesitation, I called him. And on the second ring he picked up. 

"Hello." He said, his voice sounding even hotter over the phone, especially when it sounded as though he was partially asleep. 

"Ugh, hey, Nolan. Sorry, did I wake up? I'm sorry I'll call..." I started rambling. I heard a crashing sound, followed by what I believe is a domino effect then he spoke.  

"Jinger, you call. Umm... what's the matter?" He asked. 

"Well, remember that girl that died?" I asked him. 

"Yeah? why?" He inquired. 

"Well, I kinda, found a paper on her, that sort of implies that she was murdered." I confesses.  

"Really? What did it say?" 

"Curiosity killed the Cat, Cat." I told him.  

"Hmm." Was all he said. We stayed silent for a while, then he spoke again. "Well, you can't go to the police with it unless you want to look like a guilt ridden suspect." 

"So what would I do? I can't just turn my back on it." I said to him, "Wouldn't someone find fowl play or something?" 

"No, they already ruled it as an accidental death. No autopsies and no coroner's reports." He told me with a yarn. 

"Oh." Was all I could have said. 

"It's late. I'll call you tomorrow and we could finish talk?" He asked me. Oh God, did Nolan Bronson just ask to call me? Oh God, why was I freaking out about this? 

"Umm... sure. Yeah." I said the told him goodbye and hung up my phone. The intention of the call gone from my mind, and I fell asleep with a smile on my face.

I jumped out of bed, feeling unusually excited, especially since I had forgotten all about my phone conversation with Nolan the night before. Strolling into the upstairs bathroom, I brushed my teeth, then took a shower, changing into a floral cami that was a tad bit to short and a pair of long black cargo pants. As I tied my still partially blonde hair up into a ponytail, I walked into our overly noisy kitchen. 

"Jin Jin! Your awake!" My brother, Lorenzo said when he saw me. He was wearing the same devious look that he does whenever he's up to something.  

"What are you up to, Reno?" I asked him. 

"Oh, we were just having some cake with your boyfriend." My other brother, Javier said. Now I was scared. Lorenzo and Javier never share the same look at the same time unless something is seriously wron....... Wait, what?