23 » ❝The Wizard And I❞

Start from the beginning

        And that's exactly what she does.

        "What? What are you all looking at?" Her voice rings out through the theatre, startling the Shiz students and herself at it's volume. "Oh, do I have something in my teeth?" Comedic pause as her hand jumps up to her mouth to check, her heart's speed rapidly increasing as a wave of laughter erupts from the audience. She keeps going. "Alright, let's get this over with," Scarlett sighs, setting down her suitcases with a loud thump. The students look horrified as she bounds toward them with a daring step, and with a pointed glare, she recites her favourite line of the show with more articulation than she's been capable of in all her seventeen years of life.

        "No, I am not seasick. Yes, I have always been green - and no, I didn't chew grass as a child," she sets the record straight, maintaining an intimidating stare with the students, who back off upon Scarlett's sudden burst of courage. Damn, this is fun.

        "Elphaba!"

        Audrey-as-Nessarose is wheeled onstage, and Scarlett gestures to her with a sarcastic smile. "Oh, and this is my younger sister, Nessarose. As you can see, she is a perfectly normal colour," the words fly easily, and the audience emits even more laughter as Scarlett continues on. She wheels her 'sister' downstage, and Audrey offers her hand as the scene continues, giving Scarlett a reassuring squeeze.

        "Welcome, new students! I am Madame Morrible, your headmistress here as Shiz University!" Damn, even her British accent is perfect.

        A particularly displeased Mackenna saunters onstage, clad in a purple velvet dress and a dangerously tall grey wig set atop her head. And, despite the fact that she hardly showed up for rehearsals and didn't even want the role in the first place, Mackenna holds her head high as she barrels through the scene, inflicting as much terror and confusion in the students of Shiz as Madame Morrible always does. Scarlett should have known better than to underestimate her - lead role or not, there was no way that Mackenna was passing up an opportunity to be in the spotlight.

        "Madame, we have not yet received our room assignment," Scarlett pipes up, wheeling Audrey-as-Nessa over eagerly.

        Mackenna's eyes land on Audrey right away. "Oh, you must be Nessarose, the governor's daughter. What a tragically beautiful face you have!" she exclaims, turning around to face Scarlett and gasping at the sight of her. "A-and you must be..?" she asks, her voice jumping a few octaves as she stares at Scarlett's green exterior in horror.

        Scarlett smiles, "I'm the other daughter, Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic."

        Mackenna regains her composure, focusing her attention on the clipboard in her hands. "Well, I don't seem to have you on my list, but not to fret! We'll find someplace to put you." She grabs Scarlett's hand (a little too tightly, but whatever) and drags her downstage, silencing the other Shiz students' conversations as she asks, "Which of you young ladies would like to volunteer to share with Miss Elphaba?"

        Peyton-as-Galinda - who'd been having her own dilemma as the scene went on - struts over to Madame Morrible and taps her on the shoulder. "Madame Morrible?"

        "Thank you, dear - oh, how very good of you!"

        "What?"

        "Miss Elphaba, you may share with Miss Galinda."

        "Huh?"

        Before she knows it, Audrey's wheelchair is torn away from her, and everyone's moved upstage except for Scarlett, who stares after her 'sister' with a panicked expression. "But Madame, I've always looked after my sister-" she starts, but it's lost on everyone as they continue to exit, stopping only when Scarlett finally cries out;