04 » ❝Getting To Know You❞

"Putting it my way, but nicely: You are precisely my cup of tea!"
- Getting to Know You, The King and I

CONFESSION NUMBER FOUR: Scarlett knows about a lot of things. She knows how to sight-read music, she knows every word of the musical Wicked, and she knows that Idina Menzel wore green lipstick to her audition to hint what role she was going out for when she auditioned for Elphaba.

        But she obviously knows nothing when it comes to boys.

        After class, Scarlett walks out and heads down the crowded hall to her locker, a confident bounce in her step. She feels proud of herself for singing in class - even though it really wasn't her choice, since it was an assignment - performing out of her own free will was something she never used to make a habit of, but it was surprisingly fun. Scarlett's still a bit awestruck at Parker, who she never would've guessed could sing, let alone be smart enough to choose a Wicked song - Mrs Levine's all-time favourite musical, just like Scarlett. 

        Just as Scarlett's about to reach out and open her locker, she's knocked over abruptly from behind by someone calling out her name, causing her books to spill all over the floor. "What the-" she starts, nearly falling over herself, bending down to scoop up her textbooks. When she looks up to see what it was that knocked her, it's none other than Parker himself, and Scarlett has to suppress rolling her eyes, because come on, does history really have to repeat this again? 

        Parker's quicker to rescue the books than Scarlett is. "Sorry about that," he apologizes, handing her books back. "I uh-" 

        "Do you do this all the time, or is it just me?" Scarlett interrupts, trying not to sound as rude as she wants to be. Seriously, couldn't he look where he was going for once in his life? 

        Parker looks confused, rubbing the back of his neck and looking down on her. "Do what?" he asks cluelessly. 

        "Pushing innocent girls into the wall." 

        Parker grins. "Hey, why don't I make it up to you?" he asks excitedly, stepping a little closer to Scarlett. "I'll give you a school tour - I know you're new here and everything, and I happen to know this place like the back of my hand," he offers, sounding very pleased with himself. Scarlett isn't convinced - knowing his way around a school isn't exactly her idea of an accomplishment, especially when he'd been going to said school for four years. 

        "I think I'll have to pass on that one, but thanks," Scarlett replies with a smile, dumping her books in her locker one by one before walking away. Parker follows her on her heels like a puppy dog, and this time, she really rolls her eyes. 

        "Why do I get the feeling that you really don't like me?" Parker asks curiously, a hint of teasing to his voice. Scarlett whirls around to face him, her face surely burning with anger. She knows that boys are clueless - April's said it enough times - but she had no idea that they could be this persistent. 

        "Let's see," she begins, glaring at him, "throughout the past week, you've; pushed me into a wall - not once, but twice - made me drop my books everywhere, called me a goody-goody and a damsel in distress," Scarlett rants, fuming. "Would you like me to go on?" 

        "No thanks," Parker laughs, and she can hear the amusement in his voice. "But I'll tell you one thing; you're cute when you're mad," he commented, still grinning like an idiot. Scarlett continues to glare at him, not knowing how to respond. She'd never been flirted with - and she has to say, if this is it, she's not enjoying it as much as she'd hoped. She knows her face is bright red, whether she's annoyed with him or not. Scarlett whips around and keeps walking, hoping that he'll leave her alone - and that he didn't catch her blushing.