11 » ❝I Have Confidence❞

"I've always longed for adventure, to do the things I've never dared!
I Have Confidence, The Sound of Music

CONFESSION NUMBER ELEVEN: Scarlett - while very ambitious and, to quote Emmett from Legally Blonde, driven as hell - is a total wimp. Like, she's got one up on the Cowardly Lion on levels of shyness. So naturally, the thought of playing one of her dream roles on stage not only excites her, but scares the crap out of her

         Parker strides right up to Scarlett's locker on Monday morning with a bright smile on his face, and Scarlett can't help but return it. "Hey there, little miss Bright comma Scarlett," he says, and she rolls her eyes, closing her locker after gathering her books. "You still mad at me?" he asks. 

         "It's Monday," Scarlett deadpans, but it turns into a grin almost instantly. "Everyone gets a do-over," she laughs, and Parker beams at her, looking like a triumphant puppy dog as he follows her down the hallway.

         "I greatly appreciate that well-timed Footloose reference," he comments, taking her books into his own hands. When Scarlett tries to protest, he stops her. "I owe you, remember?" he asks, and she rolls her eyes, but isn't in any position to stop him from carrying her books (english textbooks are surprisingly heavy, and Scarlett's not exactly comparable to Jean Valjean in levels of strength). "But, believe it or not, I have something more important than Broadway references to talk to you about." 

         Scarlett gasps dramatically, holding her hand to her heart. "Doth mine ears deceive me? Something more important than Broadway references?" she asks in mock-disbelief. "Who are you, and what did you do with Parker Coleman?" 

         "Oh, shut up," Parker laughs, and pulls out a green sheet of paper from his pocket, unfolding it and holding it face down in his hand, so Scarlett can't see what it is yet. "Now, I know that you are very stubborn, ambitious and misunderstood-" 

         "Hey!" 

         "-and you are very fond of animals-" 

         "Wait, where is this going?" 

         "-and that you've always really loved the colour green-" 

         "Parker-" 

         "-and I know that you're always saying that you'll never get the chance to play your dream role of a lifetime," he continues, and Scarlett's eyes widen at the green paper he has in his hand. "But I think I might have some news that could change that," he says, and she snatches the paper from his hand. 

         Thank goodness! We couldn't be happier to announce that Mackenzie High's 2014 annual school musical is going to be Wicked! Scarlett claps a hand over her mouth to keep from screaming, and keeps reading. Sign up for auditions is on the door of the choir room, so if you're interested, look to the western sky and join us in Oz for our musical theatre production!

         Scarlett's trying really hard not to freak out right now - not only because she never thought that she'd really get the chance to be Elphaba, but because she's in the middle of the hallway, and she thinks that if she doesn't start screaming at the top of her lungs in public, she's probably just going to pass out.

         Parker must notice this, because he takes Scarlett by the shoulders, a contagious smile gracing his lips. "Well? Are we going to go hit that sign-up sheet, or what?" he asks, and Scarlett can't hide her panicked expression.