05 » ❝Friendship❞

"When other friendships have been forgot, ours will still be hot!"
- Friendship, Anything Goes

CONFESSION NUMBER FIVE: Scarlett has a bit of an addiction when it comes to singing in cars.

        Whether it's on the radio or just old-fashioned a cappella, she can't help but sing along with the help of her dad's awesome stereo and the oddly amazing acoustics from the passenger's seat. A trip to the grocery store is suddenly a full-out mini musical when you add Scarlett to the mix, and she's belting out show tunes before anyone can even leave the driveway.

        It's a real problem. Alex even held an intervention on it.

        Okay, maybe he didn't. Scarlett would probably kill him if he did.

        Scarlett wakes up the next morning to the sound of her phone beeping, and drags herself across the room in her bunny slippers to where her phone is perched on her desk, next to her laptop. She turns it on and winces at the brightness, squinting at the screen. Her eyes light up when she realizes who the text is from, and Scarlett resists the urge to happy dance and belt out "I couldn't be happier, thank goodness!" because it's nine in the morning, and her neighbours are already on the verge of filing a lawsuit due to her habit of belting out show tunes from noon to night.

9.41, Chase Marshall: Hey Scar, a bunch of us are getting together for a movie night tonight, wanna join? We're watching Footloose, and we're meeting at six. I'll text you my address if you're interested?

9.42, Scarlett Bright: You had me at Footloose. :)

        And thus begins the journey of Scarlett Bright and her car performances - which, ultimately, lead to car troubles, because as usual, Scarlett's forgotten to fill up her gas tank again.

Scarlett's car makes an odd and terrifying rumble before slowing down significantly, evoking a series of annoyed squeaks on Scarlett's part. It takes way too long for Scarlett's eyes to land on the check engine light that's been blinking for far too many weeks now - and that's not even mentioning the fact that the little arrow on her dashboard is pointing well below the empty sign.

        Maybe Scarlett should spend less time singing and more time filling up her gas tank.

"You didn't have to come and pick me up, you know," Scarlett mumbles, buckling her seat belt. Parker's car is not at all what she expected it to be - it's actually semi-clean. She'd always pictured a regular teenage boy's car to be a complete mess on the inside - but then again, Parker had proven himself to be far from anyone's definition of a regular teenage boy. He has a large array of organized Broadway soundtracks on the sun visor, as well as a little pine tree car freshener dangling from the rearview mirror.

        Parker smiles. "I know," he replies simply, starting his car. The two sit in silence for a few blocks, and just when Scarlett's beginning to think that the ride will be nothing more than fifteen minutes of awkward silence, he puts on some music. She recognizes the opening music immediately and can't bite back even the tiniest smile - Parker's the first boy she's ever known to love the same Broadway songs that she does.

        This only makes her grin wider. "Is this the Idina Menzel version?" Scarlett asks, turning her head to the left to look at him. He shoots her a look that's less of-course-it's-the-Idina-Menzel-version-you-geek than she expects, and is more along the lines of an impressed smile that she'd recognized the version so quickly. Scarlett opens her mouth to say something further when the music picks up and Parker begins to belt out the lyrics, making Scarlett jump practically three feet in the air in surprise.