19 » ❝When I Grow Up❞

"I will watch cartoons until my eyes go square, and I won't care, 'cause I'll be all grown up!"- When I Grow Up, Matilda

CONFESSION NUMBER NINETEEN: Dinner goes by with sufficient talk about the school musical (along with frequent stolen glances and kicking feet under the table between Scarlett and Parker) and by the time the next day rolls around, Scarlett's no less flustered than she was the night before.

8.00, Parker Coleman: WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP

8.00, Scarlett Bright: Well, good morning to you too. :)

8.01, Parker Coleman: Are you awake?

8.01, Scarlett Bright: No Parker, I'm texting in my sleep. Are you awake?

8.02, Parker Coleman: You know you're grumpy in the morning?

8.02, Parker Coleman: Fiona would be very disappointed in you.

8.03, Scarlett Bright: She would not! She was excited. Just turned back human after being a monster for twelve hours. About to meet Prince Charming. Tap dancing with rats. Totally different circumstances.

8.04, Parker Coleman: Yes, I suppose returning to human form after being trapped in an ogre's body for an entire night would prompt a person to be uncharacteristically happy in the morning, wouldn't it?

8.05, Scarlett Bright: Precisely. Which reminds me, why exactly did you need me to wake up this early on a Saturday morning? Because I'm not big on beauty sleep or anything, but Julie Andrews does say that strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers.

8.07, Parker Coleman: Come to your front door and you'll find out ;)

8.07, Scarlett Bright: You're on my front porch, aren't you.

8.08, Parker Coleman: Not telling.

8.08, Parker Coleman: My lips are sealed.

8.08, Parker Coleman: You'll have to find out for yourself :)

        Scarlett laughs at her phone screen, jumping out of bed and throwing on a dress quickly before scampering down the stairs, pulling her hair up into a ponytail. She grabs a cardigan from the closet and unlocks the front door, slipping outside and closing it behind her. Sure enough, Parker's standing on her front porch with his usual goofy grin spread across his face, his hands folded neatly behind his back. "What are you doing here?" she asks, a curious look upon her face.

        "First, promise not to hit me."

        "Huh?"

        "You're probably going to hit me. Or yell at me."

        "What? Why would I-"

        "Just promise you won't, and then I'll tell you."

        "Parker, I'm not going to-"

        "Just promise!"

        "Fine, fine! I promise!"

        Parker smiles at this, despite Scarlett's confused expression. "Good," he grins, removing his hands from behind his back to reveal a green box, carefully wrapped, with a little pink bow stuck on top. "I uh, I told you I'd leave it on your doorstep and then run away, but I figured that since today isn't technically your birthday, you wouldn't be able to yell at me until tomorrow-"