Chapter Fifteen: Gone

Peter's and Charles's point of view 

Peter threw his head back, screaming in agony. Warm tears spilled down his cheeks, and his hands fisted tightly at his side. Once again, he tried yanking his leg free of its hold, but it wouldn't budge. He even bent down, grabbing his leg, attempting to yank it free that way. No matter what he tried to do, the damn thing wouldn't break. Peter screamed again, falling down on his knee with the leg that was glued to the ground. He ignored the searing pain of his broken leg. The pain that ripped through his chest, hurt more than a broken leg. Pain ripped through Peter, tearing every fiber of his being apart. He sat there, staring at Layla's lifeless body. Blood stained her uniform, dripping down onto the sand, staining it. She couldn't be gone. She couldn't be dead. 

"Why, did you fight him? Why, did you do it?" Peter thought numbly as he held his head in his hands. 

If she had just stayed behind that wall, she would still be alive. He had seen that look in her eyes, and he knew he couldn't stop her. It was too late, but if he had the power, he would have kept her behind that wall, hidden away from the mutant. Now, she was gone.

________________________

Charles's point of view

"Raven." Charles cried unable to take the pain of losing his friend.

Hank turned, looking at a grief stricken Charles.

"I'm going out there." Hank said as he turned to leave.

"I'm going with you." Scott said following behind Hank.

"No." Charles protested. "It's me wants." Charles said as he tried to sit up more.

"Charles, you can't give yourself up. He has you, he has us all. The whole world." Moira told him hating to see Charles look torn.

"Charles! Come! Rescue your weaklings! Give your life for theirs!" The mutant boomed, hoping Charles would fall for the bait.

Charles sat there, unable to stand what was happening to Raven, and then he felt Layla's presence. He reached further, and felt that she was dying. There was pain, sadness, and it consumed Charles like it consumed Layla. Tears spilled down Charles's face, and he turned his head, squeezing his eyes shut. Layla was dying, and Charles could feel Layla slipping through his fingers. 

"Layla! Layla, don't! Stay with us!" Charles frantically yelled in her head.

"I can't..I'm...tired, Charles." Layla said weakly.

"No! Don't...damn it, Layla! Don't die on me!" Charles cried.

"Goodbye, Charles." Layla smiled as she cut the communication with Charles. 

"No!" Charles yelled in agony as he tried to stand. Jean and the others held him down, trying to quiet him, so that the mutant wouldn't find them.

"Charles, what's wrong?" Hank asked looking into Charles's mad eyes.

Tears spilled down Charles's face, and he turned his head, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Charles, what's happened?" Hank asked firmly placing his hand on Charles's shoulder.

"She's gone, Hank. She's....she...why did she fight him. Damn it! It's all my fault!" Charles muttered angrily, sounding hysteric.

"Who? Who's gone? Is it Raven?" Hank pleaded, looking worried.

Charles turned his head to Hank, looking at him with sullen eyes.

"Layla. She's dead. He..killed her." Charles seethed, turning to look away.