xxvii.

teddy and scott stood side by side as people began to emerge from the darkness

kira was first, her katana hanging by her side.
then came brett and lori, hand in hand and safe.
both gave teddy a small smile.
satomi and others from her pack came from behind the sheets which hung in abundance from rails above.
"is it over? really over?"
kira asked, her breathing unsteady.
mud was smeared across the japanese girl's complexion, as blood did with scott's.
the pairs eyes met.
scott nodded at kira and teddy slowly, before turning to the rest of the warriors.
all looked beaten and bloody, but alive, which is what counted.
for a moment, all was silent.
then, scott indicated for his sister to step forwards.
her brown eyes widened, but she took the role, assuming control over the crowd.
"it's over."
she said, her voice echoing around the warehouse for all to hear.
"the dead pool is over. you're safe."
cheers erupted from around the room, and scott's chest swelled with pride for his little sister.
teddy moved to stand beside kira and scott to watch as everyone celebrated.
the alpha placed a hand around his sister's shoulders, holding her close.
"look how far you've come."
he smiled as teddy looked up at him.
"my little sister; public speaker, dark fairy, freshman-dater."
"you're just like scott."
kira gushed happily.
teddy's cheeks burned with pride, but her face fell as she met her brother's eyes.
"liam."
she spoke slowly.
"i need to see him."
><
it was like deja vú when teddy knocked once, twice on the large dark door.
it was just breaking midday, but the curtains to liam's room were drawn closed.
scott clasped his sister's hand as the door swung open, revealing a blonde woman in her mid thirties.
she looked so like liam, except her eyes, lined with sun crinkles, were a warm brown.
"hey,"
she spoke, placing a hand on her him and smiling wholeheartedly at the siblings.
a small cough came from teddy.
"is liam here?"
mrs. dunbar pursed her lips and nodded, opening the door wide to the hallway.
"he's in his room."
she said as scott and teddy shuffled inside slowly.
then, mrs. dunbar closed the door softly, and returned to the lounge, where a tv buzzed softly.
as the siblings made their way up the stairs, teddy kept a weary eye out for brooks.
sure enough, the perky blonde appeared from round her door as teddy reached the stairwell.
"you're back?"
brooklyn's eyebrows raised.
"are you sure you're not dating liam?"
"she's sure."
scott nodded firmly, gripping his sister's hand tighter.
the clasp slackened when he realised he was overreacting.
"and who are you?"
the blue eyed girl asked, staring down scott, her hand on her hip as her mother had done so.
"scott mccall."
smoothly, scott dropped teddy's hand and offered his own up to brooks.
she shook it cautiously.
with the raise of an eyebrow, teddy got the message.
go, i'll keep her occupied.
teddy nodded, gratitude obvious in her gaze.
biting down on her lip, the brunette crept up to the door to liam's room, which was still plastered with sci fi posters.
taking a steadying breath, the girl opened the door a crack and snuck inside, knowing a knock would attract the attention of liam's little sister.
with a turn, teddy's eyes scanned the bed, desk, and chair for any sign of liam.
she saw nothing.
instead, the blonde haired boy was crouched on the floor, once again shirtless.
teddy had to stop walking in on him like that.
different from the last time, liam's eyes were down, and his features were pointed in a sharp scowl.
agonisingly slowly, liam lifted his head, revealing his eyes.
they burned a bright gold.
teddy's breath hitched in her throat, but only for a second.
this time, no fear pooled in her eyes, seeing the boy in shift.
instead, she moved a few steps closer to the blue eyed beta, and crouched down beside him.
her hand traced his cheek gently as his fangs retracted and his eyes switched back to baby blue.
"teddy,"
liam whispered, suddenly becoming aware of the situation.
his cheeks dusted pink, but he made no move to put a shirt on.
the pair stood up, teddy taking liam's hands in her own.
"teddy,"
he spoke again.
"i-i'm sorry, i-"
teddy placed a finger over the boy's lips gently.
"scott told me everything."
the boy's gaze fell.
"it's okay to be scared, liam."
"i-i should have fought. i should have been with you."
the boy's voice broke.
softly, teddy lifted his chin, so the pair were eye to eye.
"i wish you were there with me."
she admitted.
"but it's okay. you're here now."
liam paused, biting his lip softly.
"can i kiss you?"
his beautiful blue eyes met teddy's warm brown ones, as she smiled warmly.
without replying, she pressed her lips to his, her hands releasing the boy's and creeping onto his neck.
liam's hands held teddy's waist as he pulled her clothed body against his bare chest.
everything on liam's mind was poured into that kiss, and teddy understood.
the pair parted, foreheads pressed together, and teddy's hands on liam's naked chest.
liam laughed a little at the contact, watching as teddy's cheeks burned crimson.
"can i ask you one more thing?"
liam murmured, pushing teddy's hair gently behind her ear.
the girl nodded a little, her lips curling up into a smile.
"yeah,"
"will you be my girl?"
the garden that had sprouted in teddy's stomach when she first spoke to liam was in full bloom.
the sensation was one she'd never forget.
"most definitely, liam dunbar."
the brunette laughed before kissing him again.
><
the mccall siblings stayed out all day.
teddy, spent the day with liam, down by the river where the wolf found the girl reading her book, and scott, with stiles and malia, tying up loose ends.
the pair didn't return home until night had fallen, and darkness crept through the streets of beacon hills.
scott closed the door gently behind him and his sister.
"hey, sorry we're back so late."
melissa mccall stood by the table, a pained expression on her face.
"teddy was out with liam, and i was closing up the animal clinic. i got more hours to earn a little extra."
scott faltered, placing his helmet down.
teddy mimicked his actions, and peered round her brother's shoulder to see what melissa was shielding.
teddy's hand shot up to her mouth, and she gasped at the large, gym bag of money that lay in front of her mother.
melissa turned, throwing her son a sarcastic smile.
"how much more did you need?"
scott approached his mother slowly, cautiously.
"this is payment, from the dead pool. i found it in garrett's locker.
"this belongs to derek?"
teddy asked, swinging to beside melissa, facing scott.
the mother sighed, pushing the money away from her.
"so you're just, uh, keeping it safe for him, in a gym bag underneath your bed?"
scott's gaze fell as he looked at the money which lay on the table.
"how long have you had it?"
melissa asked, all rage gone from her voice, and instead replaced with shame.
with a shake of his head, scott sighed.
"too long."
"you know you have to give it back?"
melissa reprimanded.
"i was going to."
wincing, melissa questioned her son.
"do i wanna know why you haven't?"
the alpha paused, biting his lip, his eyes on the money, or anywhere that wasn't his mother or sister.
"because of you."
he started slowly.
"because of the both of you."
teddy's face fell.
"me?"
"you and mom."
melissa exhaled deeply, her heart heavy.
her eyes pooled with tears, but she forced them back.
"you mean because we've been struggling a little?"
"mom,"
scott faltered.
"we're struggling a lot."
"oh,"
the woman inhaled sharply, placing her arm lovingly around her daughter's shoulder.
she shook her head slowly.
"scott... you can save people's lives, but you cannot save them from life. life is full of struggles."
"but it doesn't have to be—"
"honey,"
"do you know what just one of these could do?"
he picks one of the stacks of notes up.
"this gets us a new roof."
another one.
"and this pays for stiles' mri."
another.
"this pays for eichen house."
another two are taken from the bag.
"this, means teddy doesn't have to wear my old clothes. and this, means you don't have to work the double shift at the hospital and come home totally exhausted."
melissa smiled smally at her son.
"and what about this one?"
the woman took one of the stacks of money from the bag.
scott took the money from his mother, fingering the paper and trying to ignore the bloody stains littering it.
"that one,"
teddy snatched the bills from her brother's grasp.
"can go in the bin."
she tossed the bills into the metal container.
"we'll see, scott. we'll see."
melissa pulled her son in close, and teddy joined the hug.
"we'll be okay."
the woman assured her children, kissing the tops of their heads softly.
"we'll be okay."
><
that evening, teddy received a call from liam.
"who's calling you?"
scott yelled, placing a handful of popcorn into his mouth.
"i bet it's liam, from the way your face lit up."
teddy tossed a pillow towards her brother, who decided to ram the volume up on their rerun of harry potter.
"hey, liam,"
teddy shouted through the phone, glaring at scott whilst he laughed absentmindedly.
"hey, teddy."
liam smiled, ignoring mason winking at him from where he sat on his bed.
"me and mase are having a video game marathon, and we—"
a cough was heard in the background.
"i, wondered if you wanted to come join."
teddy laughed as her brother toppled off her bed, sending pillows flying.
liam was a bit taken aback, causing mason to cackle from behind.
"teddy?"
"uh, yeah, i'd love to."
she spoke.
"i'll get scott to drop me off in five."
"okay, see you soon, teds."
"bye, li."
teddy beamed, hanging up the call.
the brunette reached for the remote and switched of the tv, causing scott to moan.
"teds,"
he groaned, picking himself up from the floor dramatically.
"come on,"
she said, still in her hoodie and sweats.
"you're driving me to liam's."
><
brooks let teddy into the dunbar household, and escorted her up to liam's room.
the blonde smiled cheekily at teddy, as her jaw-length hair bounced up and down.
"i'm counting on mason to be my supervisor."
the brown haired girl's cheeks burned red as brooks winked.
suddenly, liam came to the door, his hair dishevelled and a controller in his hand.
teddy's cheeks burned even more.
"brooks, cut it out."
liam whined to his sister.
"do you really want me to?"
the girl asked innocently.
"or would you rather i told mom what actually happened the day you sprained your ankle?"
teddy's breath caught in her throat as her eyes widened?
did brooklyn know about the supernatural?
but how?
the blonde continued.
"about how you didn't do it after a nasty fall down a hill when running laps, but when you went up against two juniors?"
teddy breathed a sigh of relief, earning her weird looks from both of the dunbar siblings.
looking at the pair at once was trippy, they looked so much alike.
"fine."
liam huffed, leaning against the doorway.
"but have you told mom about your boyfriend, josh?"
liam played his final card.
brooks' face formed a deep scowl much like her brother's.
"you wouldn't."
"try me."
"fine."
brooks said, storming off into her room, and slamming the door for emphasis.
"sorry about her, teds. she's just annoyed that josh lives too far away to come over."
teddy nodded hastily, entering the room.
"hey, mase,"
she nodded towards her friend, who sat on the edge of the bed.
mason gave her a small wave.
liam took a seat beside mason on the edge of the bed, leaving no room for teddy.
the girl simply took a seat beside his feet, leaning against the bedboard.
"who's first?"
the first game was liam against mason; liam won by a mile.
teddy flicked on her controller, gearing up.
"call of duty,"
liam said.
"you familiar?"
teddy nodded.
"used to play with stiles all the time. he was never any good."
teddy and liam's gaming skills were inhuman, as one might say.
the match went on for a solid ten minutes, before liam was victorious, just.
"cheat,"
teddy laughed, resting her head on liam's knee.
liam hesitated at the contact, but was soon to react, his hands beginning to play with teddy's long brown hair.
"your's and mason's round."
he hummed, switching off his controller.
mason laughed smally.
"when did you get so good?"
he asked liam, sighing.
"you've been practicing?"
he accused.
"or did you suddenly just get superhuman reflexes?"
teddy winced, but liam covered it up with a laugh.
"uh, practicing."
he said, and mason shrugged, setting up his character.
teddy rested against liam as the pair began to play.
><
"i should be studying."
mason finally said around eleven, placing his controller on the floor.
as the night went on, liam and mason crawled onto the floor as the game became more intense.
teddy stopped playing a while back, and lay on the floor, her head resting in liam's lap.
the boy occasionally ran his fingers through teddy's hair as he played, his heart swelling at the sight of his girlfriend.
it felt so foreign for liam to use that term, but he was glad he could.
mason went to stand up, and liam panicked.
"where are you going?"
teddy sat up, noticing the tone in liam's voice.
"home?"
mason said, though it sounded more like a question.
"i have a history test tomorrow."
"liam, are you okay?"
teddy asked, taking the blonde boy's hand in her own.
"come on, one more game."
liam pleaded with the black haired boy.
"yeah, you said that four games ago."
"li,"
teddy's face softened.
"well, study here. you can stay over."
liam tried, his grasp on teddy's hand tightening.
the dark boy paused in the doorway.
"come on. one more game, just one."
"liam,"
the brown haired girl said firmly.
"you okay?"
liam faltered, his gaze dropping to the floor.
"yeah. you're right. you should go, both of you."
despite this, the beta didn't release his girlfriend's hand.
"i should probably study, too. see you at school."
mason's face softened as pain pooled in his best friend's eyes.
his eyes remained on the floor, causing worry to blossom within teddy.
"liam,"
she said, turning to face the boy.
"what's wrong?"
"n-nothing."
liam managed.
"see you tomorrow, mase."
reluctantly, mason left, and teddy heard mrs.
dunbar see him out.
the door closed gently.
due to liam's height, teddy climbed to her knees to reach eye level.
she placed two fingers under his chin, and lifted his head so his eyes met hers.
leaning in, teddy placed a soft kiss to the boy's lips.
"liam, what's wrong?"
the beta sighed, feeling teddy's arms wrap around his frame.
"do you want me to stay over?"
she whispered softly.
liam swallowed thickly and nodded.
"more than anything."
><
"i've text scott. he said it's okay as long as we don't do anything nasty."
liam smiled a little seeing teddy's cheeks dusted with pink.
the pair were laying in liam's bed, after already having the dispute about which one was to sleep on the floor.
like last time, neither one of them did.
liam fluffed his pillow as teddy inched closed to him.
gently, the girl placed a kiss to liam's forehead as he reached for the light.
he hesitated in turning it off, heading the rain pound outside his window, but teddy's hand in his reassured him.
darkness consumed the room, and liam's nerves were instantly heightened.
the hairs on his arms stood upright, and his breathing was ragged.
instantly, teddy's arms around his waist called liam, and he felt more at ease.
but that didn't stop his eyes from wandering.
the boy pulled the duvet right up to his chin, and almost over teddy's head.
the girl laughed slightly, tucking her head under liam's chin.
"you're okay."
her words, intended to soothe liam, worried him more.
it shook him to his core that now he was exposed, he was with the person he cared most about.
he'd endangered teddy.
"teds,"
he started, but a groan from the floorboards silenced him.
"li,"
teddy murmured.
"li?"
a snarl tore through the silence.
"liam?"
liam's breathing became heavier, more ragged, as he attempted to block it out.
"liam?"
the footsteps grew louder, until the form was towering over where liam and teddy lay.
"li!"
the berserkers roar pierced the night, and liam's eyes shut tight in fear.
"liam!"
and it was gone.
teddy sat upright in the bed, holding the blonde boy tight as he began to panic.
much like when she had when liam was pulled from the well, teddy kissed his forehead slowly, telling him it was all alright.
there was nothing there.