MEMORY....

*HIM*
It was the last day of our alumni meet.  Her flight was scheduled to leave the next morning and i could see the sadness in her eyes as she longingly looked at the waves thrashing onto the shore under the calm night sky. It had been almost two years we hadn't seen eachother but it seemed like an eternity passed by and i didn't realize i was waiting for her untill i saw her two days ago ....... the same beautiful big almond eyes with the touch of naughtiness within....the same old careless yet mesmorizing smile...the sound of her voice that could touch a million hearts.....the same light hearted laughter that could take away anybody's pain instantly....the same girl who was always there beside me even when i pushed her away....it was her.
I felt myself sigh deeply as i saw her turn her head around when someone called her "shorty pants " and giggle before throwing back some sarcastic comment that she was obsessed with lately.
She had always been that way....confident about everything she believed in, hopeful about the slightest oppurtunity of getting rid of any sort of pain or hardship, immensely sarcastic when it came to a comment battle with her friends😂and a pro at being there for people. I had always been blown away by the way she carrried herself no matter what she was going through...but i never told her that.
I sipped through the glass of orange juice that was plastered to my hand by a friend. I surprisingly didnt feel the bittersweet taste of the tangy liquid as i gulped it down in one go.

I like it bitter...infact id prefer it over any other drink. After coffee 😉.

I could hear her voice at the back of my head as i watched her eye's scan the crowded hall..... and they finally locked with mine.

One second...two..three..four..

I saw her breath slightly hitch in her throat ...the storm in those breathtaking black eyes was blazing...and i could see it clearly despite the distance that seemed endless between us. A beat passed by and my hands began to sweat with the fear of seeing hatred in those eyes...hatred for me. She slowly closed her eyes and when they opened, the storm was gone and for a second i thought it was the foul play of the poor fancy lighting in the closure. But it wasnt. I saw her lips curve into a familiar wide and adorable smile....and i couldn't help but smile in return. She always did that to me but i had never felt it so intensely until then.
I mouthed her a hi as i felt the rising tention in my chest release and she waved back and started to walk over.
She grabbed a glass of lemonade on her way and slid into the seat beside me on the counter.

"Hey. Long time no see huh? How are you?"she asked with a wide grin.

"Im good. What about you?"i enquired.

"Im happy."she said looking right into my eyes, and as if she'd seen the chaos in my eyes she added,"what's with those funky glasses of yours huh? They remind me of round donuts..yumm!"
There...she did it again!
I threw my head back in laughter as she licked her lips and started making those tasty food sounds. The server behind the counter placed another glass of orange juice in front of me and she simply replaced it with her glass of lemonade.

"C'mon let's toast to old times...just the both of us."she whispered and raised her glass winking at me. And as our glasses clinked, my heart did a small somersault within as i knew she'd remembered that i loved lemonade.
She still remembered.😇

*HER*
I could feel the tears stinging my eyes as our memories glided by on the soft white projector screen. Old pictures of us posing for the camera and giving undeniably hilarious expressions, pictures of us having the time of our lives with our partners in crime and memories of our college days fleeted by on the screen. Everyone around me was benumbed by a wave of nostalgia and it felt good to be there.
College had always been my platform where i was exposed to the real life and the real ruthless world outside the cocoon of pleasure that my parents had once built for me. It had changed my perspective towards life and people and moreover it prepared me for what lay ahead, and i was all the more grateful for it.
I felt something shuffling beside me, and looked up to find him smiling at me, offering me a mug of hot coffee. That familiar crooked smile had always made me feel warm and happy. I reached out to take the mug from his hand when he raised it a little higher than my reach and smirked at me. I tried to take it from him but he just  raised it even higher and silently laughed looking at me.

"Try harder darling, your coffee's getting cold."he said teasing me.
I raised my eyebrow at him in an attempt to accept his challenge but failed miserably when he winked at me and said,"I know you'll do it for coffee and besides i could always get you another cup if this one gets cold".
I struggled to hide my laughter as he kept prompting me to reach higher than i possibly could and then finally i burst out laughing as he stared at me in confusion.

"What's so funny huh?"he asked as he handed me the cup in defeat, gesturing me to move over so he could sit down beside me.

"Nothing. Maybe its just those donuts on your face." I said wrapping the blanket tight around me and giggling.

"Yea right,very funny. Ha ha!" he said rolling his eyes and taking the mug from my hands. His fingers brushed over mine slightly and i could feel my heart beating like a wild drum against my chest.
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to calm my speeding heart... and all i saw was his eyes staring into mine, when i saw him across the hall the day before.
He was sprawled across the tiny seat near the counter sipping on his drink, looking at the people around him with least interest. He occasionally stared at his drink and cringed at the taste as he devoured it in a single go. His brown hair flirted with the hem of his collar as he leaned on the counter and smiled at the thought of something. And then he looked up and i held my breath....one second..two..three...four....he looked at me with those deep brown eyes that made it hard for me to breathe every time i looked into them. I wanted to see him almost everyday of my life but i had stopped myself from doing so because i couldn't break the promise i had made to myself that day. I wanted to stay true and fair to myself and so i had smiled and walked over to him.

"Oye, you okay?". I felt a warm finger touch the tip of my nose as i snapped out of my thoughts. I looked at him giving me a concerned look and smiled.

"Yea. I'm fine."I said with a heavy heart as i saw him get convinced and sip at the hot coffee.
I sniffed in a tear that dared to leave my eyes and he looked at me and said, "Ahhh, i completely forgot that your touchy about such stuff. It's ok, you might as well just let those tears out. I won't let anyone see, i promise."
I shoved him playfully in the shoulder and he laughed tapping my head as if i were a little kid.
"Thanks ass" i said as i felt my heart being pierced with pain but i didnt let it show in my eyes. Instead i smiled despite the rush of emotions that i was feeling within.
And then he leaned in closer to me and whispered in my ear," I missed you idiot."

.......to be continued😉........

ALEXYTHYMIA...जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें