Prologue

• Dedicated to all Spider-Man fans.

Good day wattpad Warriors! This is my first e-novel I've created, so forgive me as a rookie. I am open to suggestions and constructive criticism, but I will delete mean comments (comments that offend on first sight, have swearing, etc.). I constantly edit, change, or add on to this story, so check out here often. "*4th Wall Destruction!" means that I am inserting an Author's Note on something I believe should be clarified. I promise You that I will not take your time writing about unnecessary things, like my day, shoe size or the color of viscosity. Now that the ground rules are present, grab some popcorn and enjoy the story. Thank you! :)  

____________________________________________________________

                                                      Prologue

In school, Mr. Livingston gave me a 98.6% (Hey, that's the average body temperature of human beings) on an essay I wrote about Marie Curie. As a chemistry class, Mr. Livingston had us write an essay about a revolutionary scientist we've studied about so far. Though we didn't have to pick names out of a hat, we did have a list on the board and people individually announced to Mr. Livingston which scientist we would write about. Marie Curie wasn't my first choice, but I was glad I picked her since the list was running out of names that were familiar to high schoolers.

Now I'm heading out the door towards my locker. Aunt May is going to be so proud when she finds out that I scored an "A" on that tedious report about Marie Curie's discoveries on natural radioactivity! Only she knows how much I've been stressing about finishing it, I hate knowing that I've kept her up while I was listening to my iPod with that assignment.

It was captivating to learn about Marie's new discoveries of radium with her husband, Pierre, and the Nobel prize she won, but it took a gargantuan amount of time for me. The discovery was so popular that people actually sold radioactive cosmetics to women then. I want to eat lunch soon...Wait, who was that who passed by?

Sigh, it's Her. There She is- that girl. No, no, no, not that one. That one. Yes, Her. That lovely piece of God's creation, whose flowing hair reflects three hues of buttery honey, is giggling with Jason, Teresa, and Caroline down the weary halls of Midtown High School in Forest Hills, Queens, New York. Home of the Midtown Musketeers, rival of the Sunset Park Blue Jays. Her hair reminds me of fresh cut straw on the peak of noon, in length and style. She's a fetching sight with a flowery shirt, a red jacket, and eyeliner, wow.

I look spiffy in an In-Gen shirt (Jurassic Park, anyone?) and above-my-ankle jeans (I stand at  5' 10") with my faithful backpack. I guess you could call me plain. Nothing wrong with that, it just means that I can blend with others.

Aunt May and I never lived with lots of money; just enough to scrape by. Granted, I do have an iPod, but I bought it with my own money. Since she is near the retirement age and has mild arthritis on her knees, it's been difficult for Aunt May to find a steady job that can pay well. Every now and then, she works at a small clothing store, but it's not enough.

It doesn't help when I am reminded of my beloved Uncle Ben, who was the breadwinner of my family. Even though he passed away several years ago, the memory of his death still stings me at times. That is why I am ever so grateful to Heaven on High that I can sell pics of my arachnid buddy to the Daily Bugle as a boon to the household.

Don't get me started on my parents, I promise you that I'll get around to them later. The gist of the sob story, as told by my uncle and aunt, is that my parents were killed in a car crash while I was babysat in their house, where I still live now. Car crashes happen to people frequently, so I went with it.

I know by now, you'd be wondering, "But bro, you're an only kid," or something along that context. My dear comrade, that fact stands true, but living expenses in Queens are quite fastidious to please. Heck, New York City itself eats up bills in a snap. Someone has to light Lady Liberty's torch- to ignite hope to incoming immigrants and show off the effects of corrosion to all, heh!

As a child whose parents survived through the Great Depression and World War II, my aunt didn't want me to take advantage of my "only child status," so I've been raised to only use as much as I need, and it suits me fine. Life for me could be a lot worse, I've seen it on others.

Back to Her- much has changed since She and I have known each other at elementary school. Now it's senior year but I'm still the same guy who would be caught watching a documentary of Dmitri Mendeleev's collaboration of the first, modern Periodic Table and then study on a Saturday night- after I sent Vulture to the funny farm, of course. And yes, that has happened before. Granted, it was Aunt May, but still.

We used to be mutual acquaintances then, but She ditched me since freshman year to hang out with the cool kids since I wasn't cool enough for Her. I'm not mad, I guess that's how life is. I've never had consistent friends throughout my life, now that I think about it. She's bubbly but a tad bit clueless, which is a good thing, since she doesn't know that I have a third degree crush on Her.

That's right- I have a crush on Liz Allan.

____________________________________________________________

Trivia

o "A near-mint copy of the [first] issue sold for $1.1 million last year [2011]. In 1962, it cost 12 cents" (Spider-Man has spun his web 1).

o August 2012 marked the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man's debut as "The Amazing Spider-Man!" The webslinger was first featured in "Amazing Fantasy #15" on August 1962. Happy 50th birthmonth, Spider-Man!