I argued with the system and finally started cursing at it until I fell asleep for the rest of the night.

When morning finally came, I realised that I was quite deep into the forest. According to what the other judges had briefed me about this forest, there is something unique about this forest.

The unique feature is that the deeper you head into the forest, the brighter the trees will be. At some point, the trees will turn completely blue. Some hunter groups have even spread some rumours that there are some trees that are white in colour in the middle of the forest.

The trees around me are teal right now and I should quite a distance from the outskirts of the forest.

I recall that we had a mission in the forest which we were supposed to investigate. I cannot help but wonder if things would have been different if we decided to investigate the forest first. Perhaps nothing would have changed since we spent such a long time in Lu Wang city, but just maybe, everything would have been completely different...

I have half a mind right now to just ignore the mission and hope that whatever is in there rushes out and kills all the soldiers that should be searching the forest for me right now, but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to do the investigation myself.

What happened here that could chase all the powerful spirit beasts away, towards the outskirts of the forest? Uncle Tang and Uncle Cui suspected that a cultivator had successfully practised an evil skill and that the spirit beasts all ran as far as they could from the cultivator since he would be reeking of evil energies.

Zhuge Pang, who has always been more optimistic, believed that it was a birth of an otherworldly treasure which released a powerful pulse of spiritual pressure.

Sima Di mocked Zhuge Pang's dreams of claiming that divine item by saying that it would have already been claimed before we even entered the forest. However, from our time spent in Lu Wang city, it seems like few people even managed to get near the middle of the forest.

We later learnt that it was even more unlikely for the hunters to reach the middle of the forest now since the spirit beasts have started roaming around and hunting for prey. The routes that these spirit beasts take are often random since they have fled from their territory and it does not look like they are willing to settle down in the areas they are roaming around right now.

...

Several weeks past while I was running around the forest, using the colour of the trees to determine the direction I would head. Sometimes I would move towards the wrong direction and I would have to run in the opposite direction, wasting a day's worth of time.

There was one day where I was running in the wrong direction, and I ran into a group of soldiers fighting several spirit beasts. Thankfully they did not notice me, probably because all of their attention was on pushing back the spirit beasts they were attacking them. This made me wonder why they were still hunting for me. I thought to myself if I could have been their goal, but I could not figure out a motive.

I had not offended anyone and I had not made any enemies who would want my life. Sure, there was that fat boy who disliked me but we were children, and the family elders all treated us as if we were treasures once my siblings were born so there is no way they would have allowed for an attempt on my life.

Anyway, after travelling in the right direction for several days, I noticed that there were tracks leading towards the middle of the forest!

It seems like a huge number of people are walking around the middle of the forest! But how did they even appear here?

I jump onto a nearby tree and climb higher to get a clearer look and I see a camp.

A camp that even has fences and sentry towers. There seem to be patrols but none of the people patrolling are soldiers. They are not wearing any kind of uniforms and instead are dressed in rags and they are armed with crossbows and spears which are not the standard issue of the Empire's army.