een

Mark didn't necessarily enjoy lying outside in the sun, but he found himself doing it quite often those recent days. He lay under the ageing oak tree upon that lone hill, closing his eyes and inhaling the fresh spring breeze. Winter had just passed and the weather was still fairly chilly, but often warmed up later in the day.

He remembered how he used to lie under that exact tree with Donghyuck. They'd lie in the silence he enveloped himself in at that moment. Only after a bit, Donghyuck would stand up, and they'd be on their way home.

"Mark! Are you here?"

But did those days really happen?

Mark sat up, closing one eye due to the stray ray of light peeking through the oak leaves. "Hyuckie."

He smiled upon seeing Donghyuck's irritated smile. The boy sighed, irritated hands on his hips. "You have to get to the house. We're going to sing 'happy birthday' soon. You can't always escape here because you don't like Jisung."

"It's not that I don't like Jisung," Mark defended himself quickly. "It's just… loud. Too many people. And late. I'm still happy that he's 18 now, though."

Donghyuck sighed. "Come on."

"Happy birthday to you~!"

Mark watched as Jisung blew out the candles on his cake as if he was still a little kid. He thanked everyone for the gifts and said a few more words Mark couldn't be bothered to listen to. His eyes were locked outside. He wanted to feel the spring breeze against his skin — he didn't care about cake or balloons. He didn't even care that it was Jisung's birthday.

"Mark, pay attention." Donghyuck's familiar voice interrupted his thoughts. "You're zoning out again. Did you take your meds?"

Mark remained silent as he quickly drifted to the outside world. Donghyuck sighed and pulled Mark out of the crowd.

"Mark, listen," he said. "You're zoning out."

Mark simply stared at him, not knowing what to say. "Huh?"

The other sighed softly, taking Mark's wrist in his hand. "You didn't take your meds, did you?"

"What meds?" Mark muttered, avoiding eye contact with Donghyuck. "L-let go of me."

Donghyuck rubbed his temple with his middle finger with his thumb against his cheek. "Okay, I'll excuse us for a moment. Wait here, please."

Mark stared out the window absently as Donghyuck walked away. He heard sounds of complaint, but they were faint and vague. He stepped towards the door, being attracted to the feel of the slight breeze.

"Mark, I told you to wait." Donghyuck grabbed Mark's arm gently. "We're leaving now, okay? Stay by my side."

Mark nodded. He wanted nothing more than to be outside with the breeze. He kept his eyes on the oak tree. He pointed at it.

"Let's go there," he said with a bright smile.

"Mark, no — we have to get your medication," Donghyuck told him gently, shaking his head.

Mark's smile fell. "We used to lie there all the time. Why can't we do it now?"

Donghyuck widened his eyes at those words. "Y-you remembered...? Well, we'll go later, don't worry."

They walked in comfortable silence.

"Why did we celebrate Jisung's birthday a month after his actual birthday?" Mark asked with a curious tone.

"Because we were in the city when he turned 18. Now we're with his grandparents and we can have a proper birthday party for him," Donghyuck explained with a gentle tone, as if he had said it all before.

"Can we go to the tree?"

"No, we can't. We need to get your medication."

"What medication?"

Donghyuck showed silence, which Mark reciprocated. They arrived at a wooden chalet and entered the house. Donghyuck unlocked the door and Mark turned around to face the tree, which was a stone's throw away from their chalet.

"Come on, Mark. Inside," Donghyuck said, gently pulling Mark into the house.

"I don't want the pills," Mark mumbled as he suddenly fought against Donghyuck's grip.

"Mark, you have to," the younger demanded. Mark shook his head, staying silent as his eyes welled up with tears. The younger sighed and rolled up his sleeves. "I know you don't like it. But it helps, doesn't it? If you take the pills then we can go to the tree."

Mark smiled. "Like in the old days?"

Donghyuck wondered how he remembered, but he just nodded. "Like the old days."

Mark grinned and ran to the kitchen. Donghyuck sighed and followed the older male with exasperated, tired movements.

Donghyuck watched the sleeping male beside him. He released a single sigh and raked his hand through Mark's dark hair. He lay peacefully under the shade of the tree, not a single care in the world at that moment.

Donghyuck lay beside him, using his own arm as a pillow. He stared at Mark's peaceful expression, his own rather troubled and unfocused. "How can you be so handsome, but so unwell...?"

Donghyuck couldn't forget the days when he and Mark first met. They weren't very close at first, but circumstances changed quickly. Mark wasn't as mentally stable as he was before, and Donghyuck felt the need to stay by Mark's side for as long as possible.

"I've fallen for you, Mark Lee…"

Mark opened his eyes, smiling up at the boy. "If you fell, you should stand up."

Donghyuck chuckled, attempting to stand up from the yellowed winter grass. "Yeah, I should. Come on, let's go back to the chalet."

Mark rolled onto his stomach, avoiding the younger's eyes. "I've fallen for you too, Dongie."

Donghyuck smiled weakly, his heart shattering at those words. "You know, though. We can't do this."

Mark frowned, suddenly sitting up and looking Donghyuck in the eyes. "But why not? You love me and I love you. What's the problem?"

"Your medication doesn't want us to be together," Donghyuck muttered, biting his lips together for a moment.

"You see? The medication is bad! It's stopping you from loving me," Mark exclaimed. "I love you, Donghyuck. I want to stay with you forever."

Donghyuck still avoided his eyes. "We can't. Just know I'll always be here for you, okay? I'll never leave your side."

Mark scoffed, putting his head on Donghyuck's lap. "I love you, Dongie. I always will."

Donghyuck couldn't bare to reply to those words — if he took them to heart, he would just be hurting himself over and over again. "Come on — let's just get home."