2 Hindsight

A/N: I imagine Jacob Somersby to have the charisma of Chace Crawford (left).

Mood: swipe left and tap the media box above to listen to Royals by Lorde.

Lydia

Two weeks later.

Carrie, Reggie, and I sat in our usual spot, waiting for Zach Lee and Greg Thomas to join us for lunch.

"There's fresh meat on the swim team," Carrie said.

"He's kinda young, but he's incredibly hot," Reggie quipped, flicking back her gorgeous pink-dyed locks of hair. Reggie Brown was a mix like me, half Asian, but we were polar opposites in every other way.

She was a sharp-tongued razor blade who spoke her mind, while I was careful with my words, because I understood the sting of hurtful comments. While Reggie dressed to stand out, I was introverted and demure. She had more freedom to be a social butterfly than I did, as my parents were restrictive and protective, especially my cynical mother.

"You think he's young? Reggie, he's our age!" Carrie laughed, flipping her wavy, newly dyed reddish-brown hair. It complemented her beautiful skin and hazel-green eyes.

Carrie Deacon's heritage was a striking mix of African American, Irish and Puerto Rican. She was stunning and she knew it. Carrie was my closest friend. We met at the bus stop my first week of school when we were just kids and we've clicked ever since.

"Well, you did totally crush on Mr. Ralph," I added, winking at Reggie. "What's this new guy's name?"

"Jake Somersby, and he looks like a Calvin Klein model! He's so hot!" Carrie pretended to fan herself.

"Carr, he's the guy I was telling you about!" I replied.

"Oh really? He's the mystery guy who's been helping you with your social studies homework?" she raised her neatly groomed eyebrows in surprise.

"The one you snuck lunch with in the library corridor?" Reggie teased.

"Yeah, he's really nice! We get along so well." I blushed fifty shades of red.

My mind flitted back to the Thursday after our first encounter in the library, when I saved a spot for Jake Somersby in social studies class. I remember nervously waiting for him to walk into the classroom.

When he finally appeared at the doorway, he flashed his heartbreaker smile at me and headed toward my direction. I caught his fresh, ocean breeze scent when he sat by my side and said hello. His hair was ruffled and he wore a gray and blue Henley shirt, with his sleeves pushed up to below his elbows.

Carrie's sharp voice fractured my dreamy, utopian memory of social studies class.

"Does Devon know you have a new friend?" Carrie's iridescent eyes squinted directly at me.

Devon Declan, aka my boyfriend, the king of Gainsville High's hallways. The guy I lost my virginity to a week before meeting Jake. It all happened too fast, and I can never take that back again. Just like a balloon, one prick was all it took, and now it was gone.

"He's such an ass! He's always flirting with the sirens!" Reggie rolled her eyes.

The term 'siren' was directed at the queen bees of Gainsville High's social pecking order. Like the sirens in Homer's The Odyssey, the sirens at our school appeared to be irresistibly sweet and alluring, but they were dangerous.

I knew this all too well because they were the same bullies with no compunction, who made my life hell years ago. They nearly destroyed my confidence and I did not trust them as far as I could throw them.

"It's just part of Devon's image. Deep down, he's a nice guy," I shot back at Reggie. I tried to defend my boyfriend, but Carrie and Reggie didn't look convinced. Maybe I didn't sound convinced either.

"Is he sitting with us for lunch today? Or are you sitting with him and the sirens?" Reggie asked.

I sighed heavily in response.

Reggie couldn't stand Devon. They both had strong personalities and clashed often. She claimed to be anti-cliché, and Devon was the cliché popular rich kid. He was part of the cool surfer crowd. He looked like an angel, with his sun-kissed blond hair and dark-blue eyes as deep as the ocean.

Devon was at least six feet tall and had a surfer's body. I couldn't believe a guy like that would want to be with me. Yet, we were together.

He was gorgeous, but Reggie and Carrie thought he was arrogant and I was afraid they were right. I wondered if I made a mistake when I agreed to be his girlfriend two months ago. And now I had to choose who I sat with during lunch: the surfers and the sirens, or my friends.

When I ate lunch at Devon's table, which was seldom, I felt muted and bound by the ropes of restriction. I didn't associate much with the other girls who sat there.

Instead, I listened and watched them carry on like garrulous parrots, while I wore a mask of smiles and nods. The sirens left me alone these days, but I kept a black notebook of their unscrupulous, callous deeds in my heart.

When Devon and I sat with Carrie and my friends, I felt at home.

Devon seemed like a dream to be with at the start, but why did I feel choked in a nightmare relationship? Why did I feel trapped? My suffocating soul cried to get out and I didn't know how to end it without being hated.

I could see Jake coming toward me now. He was with Zach, one of the most respected guys in school who was part of our little group. It was hard to miss Jake's athletic frame and confident pace as he approached us.

What struck me most was his genuine smile and the friendly welcome that radiated from his violet-blue eyes. In Jake, I saw a guy who had plenty of kindness and empathy.

I never thought I would find anyone better than Devon. I really didn't. I wish I knew then what I'd know later in life. The best insight was hindsight.

A/N: Please vote and/or comment if you like this chapter

A/N: Please vote and/or comment if you like this chapter. ⭐️