Sam Wilson X Reader - All I want

A/N- This imagine is based on the song 'All I Want' by Kodaline. I cried writing it (mostly because the song always gets me really emotional) and I'm very sorry if it brings you tears too.

You hadn't been able to move from your couch as the TV played in front of you. It was as though the entire world had broken down, and the only things moving were the images playing on the news. The images of your husband and his friends destroying an airport. You didn't want to watch Sam get hurt, but you found it impossible to tear your eyes away, and before you knew it you had been watching the screen for over an hour as the updates continued to roll in. You could feel yourself wince each time somewhat took a hit, but still you were stuck, focused on the images.

Or you were, until your phone began to buzz, and you quickly shifted down the sofa, pulling it to your ear and answering the call. "Sam?" you yelped out, and you heard him sigh, causing your heart to just about break.

"Yeah. It's me baby." Your lip began to tremble as his voice washed over you, and you released an involuntary whimper. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't," you started, shaking your head as tears began to run down your cheeks. 

Sam sighed. "They took us in."

"I know," you told him quietly, "I've been watching the news." You both fell quiet for a moment, listening to the breathing over the strained line. "When will you be home?"

Another shaking sigh. "I don't know." 

"Please, I need you to come home," you managed, your voice cracking as you sniffed back the tears. 

"I'm sorry," he repeated, and in that moment you wanted nothing more than to feel him wrap his arms around you. "I'll be back as soon as I can be," he paused for a moment, "but Ross is cracking down on this sorta stuff." The line went silent once more, and you attempted to understand the words Sam was speaking. "I've gotta go, we only get a couple minutes on the phone."

"I love you." The words were broken, and for a moment you wondered whether you truly meant them. But you had loved Sam since you were in high school, and the truth in the statement had never once faltered.

Sam sighed, "I love you too, baby." And then the line went dead, and the tears came quicker. You curled onto your side on the sofa, the news still cycling the video clips over and over as you pressed your eyes tightly shut and attempted to forget than any of this was happening.

*Time Skip*

You had only been awake for a few minutes before there was a knock on your door. Still dressed in your pyjamas, you crept towards the peep hole, glancing through it as quietly as you could, but the hall beyond the door was empty. Your brow furrowed as you began to undo the latch, and pulled the door open. Sometimes, you neighbour would put your post on the door mat before knocking and heading into their own flat. But you stepped over the threshold, and there was nothing waiting for you. 

When the hand touched your arm you flinched, jumping from the grip across the hall, and spinning to face your attacker, only to find your husband waiting for you with his hands up in surrender.

"Sam?" you uttered softly, "what are you doing here?"

His frown was deeper than you had ever seen it before, and you felt any happiness at his arrival fade. "I'm sorry, but I can't stay long."

"How'd you even get here?"

"I got Steve to make an extra stop before we left," Sam paused, "I don't think I'll ever be coming back."

Any trace of confusion was replaced by anger in an instance, and you felt your hands ball into fists at your side. "You can't leave me here." He remained silent as you watched him, his eyes fixed on the ground. "You promised that you would love me until the day you died; for better or worse. You can't just leave."

"I haven't got a choice anymore," he started softly and you shook your head.

"No," you spat, "you had your choice when you broke the law." Your lip quivered, and Sam reached his arms out to comfort you, only for you to step out of his reach. "You chose them. Remember?"

"Y/N, please," he uttered softly, "you know I couldn't just stand by and watch Stark take away everything Steve and I worked for."

You pushed past him, and moved back into your home. "So you threw away everything else, over some silly little law that was never going to pass." You gripped the door with one hand, though it shook as you forced away tears that threatened to fall. "My Dad was right about you; you never intended to do right by me, you just needed someone to fill an empty space."

With that, you let the door slam shut, leaving the flat in complete silence. Sam knocked for what seemed like a long time, but eventually the sound faded, and he had headed off into the city, leaving behind the last semblance of a slightly normal life.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. This money gives me the ability to continue writing in my spare time without having to worry about extra funds and will eventually help me to begin publishing my own works outside of my fanfiction. Follow the link: Ko-fi.com/S6S075KP to pledge money. The link is also available on my profile page and in the comments down below. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x