Steve Rogers X Reader - Right to be Wrong

A/N- This imagine is based on the song Right to be Wrong by Joss Stone, and it is one of my favourite songs of all time, so I really hope you enjoy it, even if it is a little shorter than usual.

Your bedroom was a void as you were changing out of your work gear and slipping into your pyjamas, absorbing any conversation that would usually be shared between yourself and your boyfriend. You could hear him huffing behind you, his foot stuck in the cuff of his jeans, as it always was, but in his frustration he seemed unable to free himself from the denim prison. 

It wasn't normal for Steve to be mad at you, usually any issue would have been dropped as soon as you had apologised, but this time it was taking a lot longer for his calm demeaner to return. 

"Sit down," you uttered softly, turning to look at him, though he kept his back to you, continuing to hop awkwardly in his attempt to escape his clothing. "Just sit down before you hurt yourself," you added, your voice firmer as you placed your hands on your hips and glared at his back.

Steve released a sigh, going still, his shoulders tensing. "I'm fine," he grumbled back, finally leaning down and yanking at the jeans so that they fell to the floor.

"You're not fine," you spoke softly, your voice barely noticable in the quiet room, "You're pissed off, and I get it," you paused for a moment, watching as he shook his head slightly, "but I've already said I was sorry and I'm not going to keep repeating myself."

Steve huffed quietly, "I'm not," he started, before shaking his head again at your wording, "I'm not 'pissed'," he finally managed to utter, getting to his feet and turning to look at you. "You scared the hell outta me, and you don't seem to realise how dangerous it was."

"I did what I thought was right," you murmured softly.

Steve shocked you in that moment, running his hand over the stubble he had started growing and letting out a short laugh. "You deliberately disobeyed orders, you mean?"

"And if I didn't Nat would be dead." The room fell silent as you stared at him, your jaw set in place as you grew more and more frustrated with the conversation. "I am sorry that I broke rank," you added, your voice softening, "but I wasn't going to stand-by and watch her die when I could save her."

"That's not the point," he started again, but you shook your head.

"Then what is?" You hadn't meant for the words to burst from you so loudly, but once they were out there was no taking them back. "If you wanted someone who was just going to sit back and let you do their fighting for them, then you've been dating the wrong girl for the last two years." The room fell silent once more after that, both of you unable to speak given the unspoken ultimatum you had thrown at him. 

Steve finally released a small sigh, taking a few steps closer to you and holding out his arms for you to lean into his embrace. You didn't notice the tears until they were pooling on his shirt, leaving damp patches against his chest. "I don't want that," he muttered softly, burying his face into your hair and taking a deep breath. 

"I know," you murmured back, though it was muffled by the fabric of his tee. 

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. This money gives me the ability to continue writing in my spare time without having to worry about extra funds and will eventually help me to begin publishing my own works outside of my fanfiction. Follow the link: Ko-fi.com/S6S075KP to pledge money. The link is also available on my profile page and in the comments down below. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x