:A Proscriptive Relationship: 42

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

"I'm sorry," I apologized, grasping his shirt in my hands.

"I'm sorry too, I must have made you cry," Mr. Heywood responded. "I seem to do that a lot."

"It's not your fault."

"It is my fault."

"No it's not," I argued. "I'm the one who cried."

"But I'm the one who made you cry," Mr. Heywood insisted.

"Technically you can't make me cry..."

"Holly, you know what I mean," Mr. Heywood responded and I imagined him rolling his eyes.

"But-"

"Holly, just shut up and enjoy my comforting embrace."

I smiled, rolling my eyes. I did as he said, and did enjoy his embrace. The tension between us immediately ceased and I let out a small sigh. Mr. Heywood pulled away eventually though, and I resisted the urge to frown.

"Holly, how exactly did you manage to get to your house? Did you walk?" Mr. Heywood asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "That's a long way."

"Oh, no, a cop drove me home."

Mr. Heywood's eyes widened in surprise. "What? Why?"

"No reason, I just happened to... fall into her way," I responded honestly. I did fall into her way. Well, Shawn pushed me, but technically it's the same thing.

Mr. Heywood narrowed his eyes. "You're lying. Something happened."

I looked at him in disbelief. "How do you know?"

"I can just tell with you."

"Well stop, it's annoying," I complained making him laugh.

"Maybe if you stopped lying to me, I wouldn't have to. I tell you the truth, Holly. Don't you think it's fair to return the favor?"

Sure. Play the guilt card. I cleared my throat nervously. "Well... You know how Shawn was at the park?"

"Yes."

"Well before I knew he was there, he called me using Lance's cell phone, and we talked for a bit-"

"About what?"

"Stuff..."

"Like what?" Mr. Heywood said, rolling his eyes. "Don't beat around the bush."

"He, um, said now that you have the other Holly, that I should get with him... He thought I'd want to get back at you by doing that."

"He what?" Mr. Heywood said, sounding angry. "He just wants to use you as a replacement!"

"I know that. But at least he had the decency to tell me right away." Immediately I regretted letting those words slip out of my mouth. Mr. Heywood's eyes flashed with sorrow. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"Holly, I don't mind," Mr. Heywood cut me off. "I did use you as a replacement at first. I deserve every word."

"No you don't," I said, shaking my head. "I'd probably do the same if I was in your shoes. If the person I loved left me, I'd try to find a replacement too... Well maybe not, but you know..."

Mr. Heywood smiled. One of his rare, genuine smile, not a smirk. I couldn't help but smile back.

"What did you say to Shawn?"

"Oh, I said..." As I remembered the words I said to him, a blush made it's way onto my face again. Mr. Heywood raised an eyebrow.

"Well?"