Nineteen

"Weapons at the ready." Gerard told the others. His eyes were still locked on Battery City. "We're doing this."

"Yes, sir." Demonic nodded.

Rebel stared off towards the city with an unreadable expression.

Northern nodded with determination on his face. "The Game Master is expecting us." He said, flatly.

"Ride or die." Fun Ghoul flashed a bittersweet grin. "I'm with you, Party Poison."

They stood in silence for a short time. The only sound was the crackling of the flames that engulfed their friend's vehicle. Without a word, Gerard turned back to their car and began to move towards it. The others followed, matching his silence.

Once back in the car, Fun Ghoul drove cautiously along the side of the road. The shadow of Battery City looked every closer. Gerard kept his eyes on the monster that lay ahead of them.

The game master is expecting us.

He knew they were approaching. The game was ending, he had to realize.

Gerard held tightly to his... His character's weapon. He was ready for this to end. For himself. For his friends.

Fun Ghoul pulled back onto the road, continuing his cautious creep forward. "Welcome to Battery City." He said as the cracked desert road became smoother and the buildings seemed to consume them.

Rebel shrunk slightly in her seat. "I never thought I'd come back." She spoke quietly as the car creeped down the city street.

It seemed all but abandoned. Piles of sand overtook some street corners. Lights hung to poles by thin wires. Papers blew up from the slight wind that followed the car's path. Gerard noted the bolded smile of the company he created that was now intent on destroying them.

Fun Ghoul eyed the buildings around them. "Where exactly are we going?" He asked, continuing the vehicle's forward creep.

Northern lifted his head, eyes far away. "Forward."

Demonic looked at him with concern. "You there, Downpour?" He asked, placing a hand on the killjoy's shoulder.

Northern simply nodded. "Forward."

"What's going on with him?" Rebel scooted towards the back door. "Is he a spy?"

"You shut your mouth." Demonic snapped, shooting her a glare.

"R-" Gerard inhaled a sharp breath, "Northern has some kind of connection to the Game Master, but I'm not sure he's fully conscious of it." He turned to Rebel. "Not a spy."

Demonic turned to look out the window on his side. He was still visibly on edge, keeping a hand on Northern's shoulder.

"Connection or not, there's a fork in the road ahead." Fun Ghoul said, bringing the cars speed up.

"Left."

"He's kind of freaking me out, but left it is." He glanced towards Gerard for confirmation. Gerard nodded.

The car continued on, following Northern's instructions until eventually rolling to a stop. Gerard turned to Fun Ghoul, who was swearing as he hit the steering wheel.

"Why'd we stop?" Rebel asked from where she seemed to be trying to merge with the backseat.

"Fucking car!" Fun Ghoul spat, punching the center of the steering wheel. "I need to get under the hood."

"In the middle of Battery City?" Demonic questioned, "After being hit by an attack that proved they know we're here?"

"Got a better suggestion?" Fun Ghoul asked, glaring at Demonic through the rearview mirror.

Gerard turned to the backseat, looking at Ryan. His eyes were still far away. "How far out are we, Northern Downpour?" He asked.

The killjoy raised his arm, pointing ahead of the car. "He's waiting." He replied, softly.

Gerard gulped. This was it. The end was near and he was ready for it... Right?

Fun Ghoul grabbed hold of his hand. "Earth to Party!"

Startled, Gerard turned to him, eyes wide. Fun Ghoul looked tired. Gerard wondered if he looked tired as well. The killjoy squeezed his hand, though he didn't smile once he got Gerard's attention. "We doing this?" He asked.

Gerard couldn't form the words. He wanted out. He wanted his friends okay. However, he didn't want a relationship like this to end with Frank. If he stayed, this could last... If he stayed, his friends would be dead.

"We're doing this." Gerard nodded, squeezing Fun Ghoul's hand.

Quietly, the group piled out of the car, taking in the buildings surrounding them. They looked over them, seeming to have eyes on them from any direction. Rebel held her arms close to her body, keeping her weapon at her chest.

Northern stepped to the front of the car, blinking with confusion. The far away look in his eye was fading, being replaced with a visible tiredness. "Where are we going?" He asked, leaning against the hood before holding his head in his hand.

Gerard patted the killjoy's shoulder. "Heart of Battery City, I'd guess." He replied.

The most ominous building rested in front of them. Near the top, a sputtering neon sign flashed the smiley logo of Better Living. It seemed to taunt Gerard as its brightness flickered in and out. It was now or never.

"Weapons at the ready." Gerard said, bringing his gaze down to the buildings entrance. There wasn't a soul in sight besides their reflection on the glass.

Demonic stepped up beside Gerard. "We're not seriously just waltzing in through the front door, are we?" He asked with a laugh of disbelief. "All due respect, Party, but this is suicide."

"You heard him." Fun Ghoul glared at Demonic, "Weapons ready."

Demonic frowned, but readied his weapon as he was told. Northern followed suit, pointing it at the sky as he looked up at the building in front of them.

Gerard stepped forward, drawing closer to his reflection in the glass ahead. He couldn't see the fear that he felt in his reflection; he almost looked like a different person. His hair seemed longer, his gaze seemed harder, and his friends looked to him for guidance.

His friends looked to his character for guidance.

This wasn't his world. Though they looked like his friends, these were only his characters. This was all some sick game that they had somehow been sucked into.

Gerard took another step forward.

The game master was in there, whoever it was. This was the only way to put an end to it.

Gerard readied his own weapon with another step. This was it. He kept repeating it to himself. He wanted to go home. He wanted back to his normal life. He missed seeing the real life in his friends eyes, not the cloud of his characters.

Gerard held his weapon out in front of him, arm outstretched and aimed for the glass doors in front of him. "Knock knock." He said before pulling the trigger and trying not to flinch as the glass shattered.