day forty five

||DAY 45

When the cast came off her leg, he got her to start walking.

"Baby steps," he'd said, which was exactly what she needed because it felt like she hadn't walked in years. 

Initially, he tried to help her, but when she refused it, he gave her crutches instead. Where all this stuff came from, she had no idea. The wheelchair, the crutches, the casts and bandages. People didn't usually have this stuff just lying around. There were just too many unanswered questions floating around her mind that she knew wouldn't get answered.

At this point, she had enough strength to walk to the pond without needing a break. It wasn't enough to run, but she was getting there. The fact that she could walk again, after all those days stuck in that wretched bed, had shed some new light on her. When the only place she could be was in bed, how could she expect herself to venture off into the forest around her?

But that wasn't the case now.

Things were finally changing; the fear of a static future that had led her life for the last few weeks was no longer holding her back.

She had already been scouting, looking, searching. When she was in the cabin, she made sure to look around. Admittedly, there wasn't much. The only real place to scavenge was the kitchen. It was stocked really well that she could've taken a large enough portion of it without making much of a dent. However, she couldn't do that- it wasn't practical to carry that much food with her. She needed to be resourceful.

Whenever they went to the lake, she would walk around, feigning to be exercising while in fact she was really trying to find another trail. Yesterday, her eyes managed to catch sight of a cobbled stone pathway and the shock of it almost made her keel over.

That was when the idea of escape started to feel real.

And all though she had no idea where the path led, it was still an option- her only option at this point. She would still look out for other potential routes, but as of now, that path was her way out.