-17-

She had to tell her. They needed to get out-

The door opened.

"Hey Tam, Tori." the figure in the doorway nodded politely to each girl in turn, a smile resting on his lips. But something was off. The ghost of ... what was that? Pity? Frustration? Whatever it was,  it was obvious that he was trying to brush it off.

Tamara shook her head a little, blinking as her thoughts were interrupted. The image on the visor over her eyes had blurred a bit, and as it slowly readjusted, she saw who it was that had joined them.

"Good evening, sir." Tori said almost in an almost disturbingly calm manner.

"It's just Issac. I'm not-"

"How was the gala?" Tamara interrupted, trying to gloss over the other girl's actions.

"Uh..."

"I mean, it's a bit early to be back, isn't it?" 

He glanced off to the side, clearly uncomfortable," Yeah, but... well... some stuff happened, but nothing too important..."

Another nervous glance at the doorway. He couldn't stay in here. He probably wasn't even supposed to be in here. 

"I... uh.. I should probably go meet with my father.... see you both later..."

Somehow he didn't notice the little demon boy next to Tori.

——————————

(Bold italics will be ginger's demon from now on)

"What even are you?" he had decided to confront .. him? her? them? He wasn't even sure what they were.

"I'm a part of you. Maybe not entirely you, per say, but for what it is now, I might as well be considered as such. But... I know what I said in the past .. well... I'm a demon, I can't help it. But you're a child. You're like... me.... Different. They're not after you, they're after me. They don't even know that. But it's the truth. You never had a choice. You couldn't control what happened to you. And.... well, for what it's worth, I want you to trust me. I want... a friend."

———————————————

(Italics are Tord's demon)

"And what could you possibly need me for at a time like this-?"

"You're upset, as am I. But quit fucking up MY life even more with your shit."

The creature sighed, turning to look at him.

"You are your own problem, Tord. I'm only here. You lose control, it's your own fault. But I'll tell you your main problem. You can't be this version of you without him. You're trying to be someone you can't. Don't blame the demon for your own insanity. Open your eyes, damn it."

Before he could reply, he was back in his own office again. 

Maybe Sam was right. He needed Tom. Without him, he wasn't complete.

———————————

"You IDIOT. You almost cost us the entire mission. Just because you were careless. I don't know why I haven't shot you dead dozens of times by now!!"

"Sir, I-"

"You alerted every single army leader that something was sabotaged. You're lucky they're all a group of cowards and ran, or you could have fucked up BIG TIME."

"But, sir, I completed the mission. I did as you asked."

"You had best be glad that the only reason I keep you around is because I can't afford to have you spilling secrets to anyone outside this base."

"Of course, sir."

"Now, I can see from that look in your eyes that you want to know more about your mission's purpose. Tamara can tell you all the details, but if you leak ANY of that information to any unauthorized personnel, I will see to it personally that you are mangled dead in all ways possible, understood?"

"Yes, sir."

——————————

Maybe they could help him find Tom. They were his friends. Those three had gone through so much. But the fourth.... would they trust him....?

"Edd?" Tord took a deep breath, staring nervously at the screen holding the video call. The cola loving brunette hadn't even let him ask his question before he was already angry.

"What in the FUCK makes you think I'm going to do ANYTHING for you, you twisted fuck? You know what, no. Talk to Matt, I'm not helping your sorry ass."

The Norski cringed a little, his gaze following Edd as he stormed away. Matt took a few steps closer, sitting in the seat where his friend had just been. His eyes, though a bit scared, held compassion in them. It was something none of them knew the ginger haired man could feel.

"What do you need, Tord?" the question was gentle, comforting, like a friend who you'd call late at night to pour your heart and soul out to, even if just over a simple breakup. Someone who cared. Truly cared. And that was something Tord wasn't used to, not anymore. The only other person who had ever shown that to him, aside from his adoptive parents of course, was Tom. But Tom was missing. And even then, he had memory loss. Tord wasn't even sure if Tom actually loved him. The real Tom might not. So it was nice to have something, at least for now...

"It-it's about Tom..." he was acutely aware that the chrome sphere of silver of his eye had momentarily shifted to red at the mention of his lover's name, but he hoped Matt hadn't noticed.

He didn't explain much, only the facts everyone else knew. Matt would probably tell Edd, and he couldn't trust Edd not to use that against him now..

Both of them had changed. Edd has become withdrawn and ... well angry, at everything and everyone. He seemed to blame the world for his problems, but his friends knew what it was. His best friend had betrayed him, and stolen another of his closest friends. Matt was all he had left. And he was desperate not to lose him too. And Matt... he had changed so much, yet he was still Matt. His narcissism had essentially been sucked right out of him, but his face had also been severely disfigured only a short time before Tom first joined the Red Army. He had taken to being much more shy, seeking to help those around him, make others happy. Almost to a point where he could be called a coward. But he wasn't. He just didn't know how to show it very well anymore....

Tom might as well be a fabrication of Tord's own mind. A fantasy. Without his memories, was he really.. Tom? Maybe Edd was right. But he had hope. He wanted to show that he could, and had, changed. And it was for him. All for him.

As for himself.... Red Leader had gone from one of the most fearful and threatening leaders in the world, to a man centered around protecting those around him. His family. His love. His son. His army. They were his world. But with some pieces of the puzzle missing, he couldn't be that way. He had nowhere to turn to. Tom was his light. But the light was gone. And you can't see in the dark.