-Nine-

He had ordered the scientists to keep the success of the experiment a secret. No one except Pat, Pau, Tom and Tord himself were allowed to know. And Tom didn't even know what it was. All he knew was that Tord was extremely restless for the entire rest of the day after he had finished speaking with Pau.

———————

Tord paced impatiently back and forth in front of his desk. Tom stood a few feet beside him, his head following the path of Tord's footsteps, his unseeing eyes trained on the Norski.

Tord was muttering to himself in Norwegian, letting out the occasional swear every now and then. The near silence was broken when Tord's phone rang. He answered it quickly, continuing to speak in his native tongue. Only a few sentences into the conversation, his eyes lit up. He grabbed Tom's hand and practically dragged him out the door, nearly running down the twisting corridors.

"S-sir?!" Tom asked, surprised but compliant.

"I'll explain in a bit." Tord's words were clipped and short, but only because he was more focused on getting to the experiment lab as soon as he could.

When they arrived, Dr. Avery, the head of Experimental Research, greeted them. He shared a glance with Tord, then pointed to one of the other lab technicians. He was going to occupy Tom for the few minutes he needed so Tord could see the experiment first.

T-12 was the twelfth and only successful version of a genetically engineered child made by fusing the DNA of two different donors, as long as they accepted each other, and a great deal of technology. Half of each experiment had contained Tord's DNA, and the first 11 had been various different soldiers from the base, usually someone Tord had a "crush" on at the time, even though to this day he had not let go of the love he had gotten to have as a teenager. Which is where T-12 was different from the others, which were mostly composed of Tord and the medical technician, Ell's, DNA. This one was someone else, someone with a bit of monster DNA in their blood. Except he hadn't asked the Brit for permission to use his DNA. That was the major flaw in his plan. But it had worked. It had actually worked.

"So, obviously his name right now is T-12, but I call him Torm. He doesn't like it though, either of those names,actually. I'm sure he'll like it if you name him." Ell has been the one to take Tord to his son's lab room. She was speaking as they walked, smiling at the thought of the little boy. She was somewhat disappointed that none of the fusions between her own DNA and Tord's had worked, but she certainly seemed to understand why a lot more than he did.

"I was thinking something like Ginger," Tord said, returning the brunette's smile. His attention was drawn back over to the room, however, when he saw a small face looking at his from over the back of a sofa on the other side of the room. The boy tilted his head slightly, and it was clear he was trying to figure out how to repeat what Tord had just said.

"Gin..ger...?"

Tord smiled warmly, nodding his head.

"Ginger, come here."

Ginger's eyes sparkled as he jumped up and ran over to jump into Tord's arms. Even though he was created around the age of 6, and he had never even seen Tord before, he knew the Norski was his father.

Tord had to admit, he honestly didn't care if Tom was ever angry at him about this. The kid was too cute. He loved him instantly. He was the perfect mix between his parents.

He had spiky brown hair like Tom, but the style more closely resembled Tord's. His right eye was light blue, and his left eye was red. He wore a light purplish pink t-shirt and a dark blue choker with a small pineapple charm on it.

Ell stood to the side of them, watching sadly. It wasn't her own personal problem, she was happy that the experiment had finally worked. But there was something else bothering her, and it was about Tom. There was something so .... wrong about the whole thing. Tom wasn't completely himself anymore. The damage to his eyes was the most apparent thing, but in her research she had found a small thing, something almost unnoticeable, but the cancer had also taken a somewhat small toll on the Brit's brain. She had seen signs of it too: Sudden ranges between extreme hatred for Tord as he used to have, to something that almost seemed to be romantic obsession; his emotionless had come from before, but now it was clear he wasn't sure he wanted to do it, yet he still did, which was leading to him developing a bit of a flirty personality, and not in the good way. He was practically taking advantage of Tord with the way he was treating him, as if he was trying to... mirror Tord's past behavior, or even some of his current behavior, back to the Norski. As if he either felt like he had something to prove to Tord, be it a lesson or ... like he owed something to him. One of the disturbing things that she had noticed, though, was his memory. It was intact, for the most part. He remembered "The End", the zombie apocalypses, hell, even the radioactive snow monster, but even though he knew he had friends there, he didn't remember them well. As if they were something he used to know about, but had faded into something, like an old life he'd never return to. And to some extent, he was right. She had asked him if she could speak to him privately a few days before, and when she had asked about his two former roommates, Edd and Matt, he had said they sounded familiar but he wouldn't know them even if he saw them. The only person that he strongly remembered even back to his young childhood, around 9 or so, aside from a little bit about Pat and Pau, was Tord. He remembered everything happy, fun, upsetting, irritating, angry, hurtful. As if it didn't really matter in the end how he felt about Tord, that he would never be truly complete again, and he was desperate to hold onto something familiar, even if it was his most hated enemy. Like he was obligated by something more than a title like "Red Leader". She suspected it had something to do with love, stuff like this always did in movies. Tord was also acting weird, like he wasn't sure how to deal with the fact that he probably loved Tom.

And she would be perfectly right.

———————————————————

Here's a pic I drew of our new precious lil bab, Ginger :3