¹⁴, A MORTAL KOMBAT REUNION

Start from the beginning

  "So. . ." Liam drawled out, "Wanna play Mortal Kombat?"

  "Like you have to ask!"

  "I got a 740 verbal and a 760 math?"

  Rory was appalled by her P.S.A.T. scores. They weren't bad, by any means, but Rory was far too hard on herself and was very upset she had scored lower on verbal versus math.

  Charlie elected not to read hers out loud.

  "Those are damn good scores, little lady," Lorelai smiled proudly, "Really. Amazing, top-notch, those are P.S.A.T-rific. Sorry, it was just laying there, I had to go for it, you're frowning."

  "How did I get a higher score in math?" Rory stared at the paper, turning to her sister who was sipping her mug of coffee, "What did you get?"

  "Oh, uh, nothing special," Charlie shrugged off, "720 math, 730 verbal."

  Jess Mariano raised a brow, he was working in the diner and passed the Gilmore table just in time to hear Charlie's faux scores.

  "Those aren't bad either!" Lorelai grinned, "Plus, it's just the practice, you'll ace the real thing."

  "I'm stronger in verbal, verbal's my thing," Rory complained.

  "No, verbal is my thing," Lorelai joked, though Rory was not amused.

  "Maybe I didn't study hard enough. Maybe I got cocky."

  "I'm gonna get a donut," Charlie sighed, pushing herself away from the table and bouncing over to the counter. She leaned on her arms, watching Luke scramble around for a moment before noticing her, "Wow, the service here sucks."

  "Not any better when you're working," Luke grumbled, choosing to ignore Charlie's jaw dwindle open, "What do you want?"

  "You really need to work on your people skills," Charlie noted, laughing at Luke's glare, "Relax Kujo, I just want a donut."

  "That, I can do," Luke sighed, walking over to the case. Jess just so happened to be walking behind the counter at that moment and approached Charlie.

  "You lied."

  "Um . . ." Charlie stood tall now, "I think you've got the wrong person, Mariano."

  "You didn't get a 720 math and a 730 verbal." 

  The girl's eyes widened.

  "What are you, a stalker?" She whisper-shouted, the amused look on Jess's face only fueling her anger. "Why do you care about my P.S.A.T scores?"

  "I don't," He brushed off, "But Rory might." 

  Jess snatched the envelope right out of her hands, backing away from the girl before she could snatch it back.

  "Hey—!" Charlie attempted to receive the paper to no avail.

  "Wow, Gilmore," Jess noted, scanning the paper, "How's she gonna feel when she finds out you're the smart one?"

  "I just studied," Charlie snapped, still attempting to get the paper by leaning over the counter as far as she could, "She goes to the fancy private school."

  "You get better grades."

  "What the hell are you two doing?" 

  Charlie froze, only then did she realize her feet were no longer on the ground, her full weight resting on the counter. Jess smirked at the situation, he was simply leaning against the wall with her mail. The girl slowly slid from the counter, landing on the ground with a soft thud.