¹⁴, A MORTAL KOMBAT REUNION

Start from the beginning

  "Charls," He greeted out of breath with a smile, "Hey."

  "You two run upstairs, I'll bring snacks in a little," Maryl smiled, waving a hand, "Liam, don't forget, your game is tomorrow at six—"

  "I know, Mom," Liam smiled, nodding his head to the stairs, "Thanks."

  Charlie followed Liam, and for the first time, she hesitated before taking a seat on his bed. 

  "What's up?"

  "Came to talk," Charlie nodded slowly, pulling her feet under herself as she took a seat on his bed, while Liam claimed his desk chair, "Uh, don't know what to say, but. . ."

  "I do," Liam quickly spoke, nodding, "I, um, I'm sorry."

  Charlie raised an eyebrow.

  "Yeah, that was bad, I know," He sighed, losing the tension in his shoulders, "But, I really am. I talked to Emma, told her it was a mistake. She agreed. We were both drunk, she apparently struck out with guys at the bar and came over without intentions, but. . ."

  "But you accidentally slipped and—"

  "I'm not innocent," Liam cut her off gently, "I'm owning up to it, Charls. I made a mistake, and I'm apologizing. And you don't have to forgive me now— you don't have to forgive me ever."

  "Thanks," She said quietly, looking down at her hands, "But it's not like it's all your fault. It was a decision you and Emma both made."

  Liam nodded slowly, scooting closer to the girl.

  "But if you do forgive me," Liam spoke with bated breath, "I want to be friends, at least. I don't want the three of us to hate each other, Charls."

  "At least?"

  He bit his lip and shrugged, ruffling his stupid hair that framed his stupid face before pulling on that stupid sweatshirt.

  "You were right," He admitted, "There's no point in worrying about an end before a beginning. If you forgive me, and we're alright, and I haven't messed it all up— I'd be lucky to have Charlie Gilmore as my girlfriend."

  Her heart skyrocketed. 

  She didn't know what she wanted. 

  "I want us to be friends again before we even think about that," She said quietly, "If that's okay."

  "Hey," Liam said, "You do not need my permission to do what you need to, Charlie."

  And she smiled. And Liam felt his heart skip in his chest because he knew he wanted nothing more than Charlie Gilmore, and he'd wait forever, or be happy with friends— as long as she was walking beside him into the future, Liam Montgomery would be just fine.

  "Alright, cheese, crackers, summer sausage, and grapes," Maryl spoke, walking through the door with a large plate of snacks, "I'll grab you two water— we also have soda, Charlie, do you want a cola?"

  Charlie looked to Liam, and he to her, and they laughed.

  "What?"

  The duo didn't halt their laughter, both finding humor in the simplicity of a normal routine.

  "Liam Montgomery! Charlotte Gilmore!"

  "No, Ms. Montgomery, not my full name!" Charlie grinned with a laugh, falling back on Liam's bed.

  "You two are just as wild as ever," She shook her head, setting down the snacks, "Stay as long as you want, Charlie."

  Charlie grinned, propping herself up on her elbows as Maryl closed the door behind her.