7 - "I lost myself."

Start from the beginning

"So, Arden, where've you been?" She suddenly asked, "I haven't seen you in forever."

Arden stiffened a little, unsure of what to say at first. In that moment, she felt like she couldn't tell her the truth...that Michael didn't like her going out with her friends.

"Oh, um...I've just been busy with school work and soccer." She half-lied, "Plus, I've been dealing with stuff at home."

Arden hoped Mel hadn't noticed that she quit the soccer team...or that the reason why she was never around is because she was always with Michael. And she found herself questioning in that moment why she felt like she needed to protect him from any judgement Melanie might have.

"Well, I'm glad you made it out tonight," She smiled, "I've missed you, Den."

Relief washed over Arden at first...and then an aching feeling in her chest. It came from her wondering if after tonight, she would ever get this with her best friend again.

"I've missed you too, Mel." Arden said softly, genuinely happy to have come here tonight.

Suddenly, Arden felt her phone vibrating in her back pocket and she set her beer down on the counter as she took her phone out. Looking down at the caller ID, her stomach lurched when she saw Michael was calling.

"Do you need to take that?" Mel asked.

Arden hesitated for a moment, almost hitting the answer button, but then hit decline instead at the last minute, sending it to voicemail. Regret instantly washed over her...but the moments she was having with Mel right now, quickly replaced it.

"I'll call them back later." Arden told her, "Right now, I'm in the mood to dance. Care to join me?"

Mel grinned happily, "Hell yeah. Let's go!"

As Melanie grabbed Arden's hand and led her to the living room where people were dancing, it felt like her phone was weighing heavy in her back pocket. Arden felt a little guilty for ignoring Michael's phone call...and she was debating within herself if she should call him back.

But as Mel began dancing in front of Arden and everyone else danced around them...she felt that guilt slip away slowly. Laughing at Melanie's made-up dance move, Arden started dancing with her, letting go of everything that had been crushing down on her.

'I'll call him when I get home.'

In that moment, Arden just wanted to enjoy one night with her friend, doing normal teenage stuff. Michael would still be there when she got home.

Or so she thought.

Her heart ached in her chest as the haunting memories started coming back. They were painful to remember...especially the part that came next. Arden could feel the tears burning in her eyes and her voice began to crack as she continued.