Chapter 4

A/N: thanks so much for 600+ reads I'm shookuth, sorry for my incredibly slow updates! I will definitely finish this story though. Hopefully this year.

☀︎ Iris ☀︎

They stare down at me in shock and I stare up at them, frozen like a dear in headlights. 'I guess it was curiosity that killed the cat' I thought to myself, regretting the decision to move further down the tree.

I try sit up but struggle since, well, I just fell out of a tree. My struggling however seems to snap them out of their trance.

"Hey, are you okay?" One of them kneels down and reaches out to help me. He has red hair, similar to mine but with deep brown undertones. It looks really soft, like a kitten's fur and I want to reach out and touch it, since I've never pet a kitten.

I don't however, and as his pretty blue eyes bore into mine and his hand reaches out to help me, I instead jerk away from his advance and try put some distance between us. All men are monsters, that's what mother taught me.

"It's okay, we're not going to hurt you." The other says soothingly, he has piercing green eyes hidden behind thick rimmed glasses, which he suited perfectly. However his soothing words do nothing to calm me.

I try to scoot away from them but end up bumping into another tree and freeze again. 'Maybe if I don't move they won't see me' I decide, stupidly.

They exchange a meaningful look with one another and then the boy who is wearing glasses turn back to me.
"What is your name?" He asks in a kind yet curious voice.

I wait a moment before answering, I had never given my name out before and wasn't sure wether I should give my whole name, just first name or a false name to a perfect stranger.

"M-m-my na-ame i-is I-iris." I eventually force out. My stuttering annoys me and makes me feel weaker. So I look down to the woodland floor go avoid eye contact.

"That's a pretty name" said the red-headed boy. "My name is Nathan and this is my friend Kota. We live in the houses over there" he said pointing towards my house too "do you live near here?"

"I-I live ove-er there t-too" I reply quietly.

"Really?" Kota exclaims. "I haven't seen you around" Nathan nods in agreement. "Did you move here recently?"

"Y-yes, a f-f-few da-a-ays ago" I reply. They exchange another meaningful glance at this.

I'm starting to feel more comfortable around them and my posture seems to be relaxing a bit. They seemed to notice since Kota asked a more personal question.

"Do you have any siblings?" I waited a moment before slowly replying.

"I-I h-have t-t-two s-sisters" i reply quietly. They both exchange yet another glance and then turn back to me.

Suddenly I remember the pain I am in from my fall and wince a bit. This seems to remind them too. The pain seems to be mainly in my left ankle and right wrist and I shift to relive them of my weight. Kota and Nathan notice, of course, they seem to notice every little move I make.

"One of our friends is a doctor, he can asses you and make sure there is no serious damage. Would you please let us take you to him?" Kota asks, but I don't feel as if o have much of a choice. So I nod my head, obedience drilled into every cell in my body anyway.

Nathan and Kota both go to help me stand but I help myself up and stand a fair distance away from them. They seem trustworthy, but, looks will always be deceiving.

We walk slowly back towards our houses. Even through I know we are not going back to my house yet, my heart rate still increases. My palms get clammier as we get closer and closer to were sang and mother lay, sleeping. The though of being caught flashes through my mind, causing shivers to zap through my limbs like electricity. I feel as if I have just been hit by lightning and my breath hitches. If Kota and Nathan notice, they don't say anything. Maybe they could tell it wasn't due to physical pain.

We finally arrive at mine and Kota's houses, his, I have discovered, is right next to mine. We walk up to his garage and enter silently. I might have been longer than I though since when I look at the clock on the wall it says that it is quarter past midnight. Only a few hours until I have to get up. I guess I won't be getting much sleep tonight.

Hi, I'm so so so sorry it's been so long since I updated! Also keep changing tense, please tell be if you preferred past or present or want me to keep switching. Anyway, Thank you for reading! Please comment and maybe vote? ;) I'll do my best to update more! xx