Chapter 17: Vidcon Day 2

Start from the beginning

The room was full of people and I stopped to take it all in. Nate’s hand was still firmly placed on mine and he gave me a gentle squeeze. To my surprise I recognized almost everyone. I saw Zoe, Alfie, Tanya, Jim, Louis, Joe, Caspar, Marcus, Louise, Natalie, Lucy, Dom and then some security guys and organizers.

“Nate! Abbey!” Alfie exclaimed before he jumped up and gave us both a hug. He really knew how to give hugs and I thanked him silently for making me feel more at ease.

Then I said a quick hello to everybody and was amazed that they seemed fine with me intruding. Lucy even pulled me aside and I hesitantly left Nate’s side.

“Would you mind taking photos some photos? We could use some for our website to kind of show what it looks like behind the scenes?”

“Of course,” I replied gratefully. That was something I knew how to do. I always had my camera on me and started snapping photos.

“Ey! Your little paparazzi!” Joe teased when I snapped a shot of his engaged in a conversation with Jim.

For a second I was worried he meant it, but his tone suggested otherwise. 

“Well, someone has to make sure you show of your best side, right, Sugg?” I said.

He and Jim burst into laughter and he demanded to see the photo.

“That’s really good? Think you could teach me a thing or two about taking photos like that?”

“Hey, Abbey you promised to teach me,” Alfie interrupted and referred to a conversation I had had with him previously.

We chatted along happily until it was time for the team to go onto the stage. I walked out with them, trying my best to stay out of the vlogs but knew that I failed at some moments. The area was huge.

Several of the guys made fun; thanking people for coming out even though the big seating area was completely empty. Still I felt a rush being on the scene, because tomorrow all the seats would be filled and thousands of eyes would be watching their every movement. I was just happy I didn’t need to be on stage for that one.

I tried to stay out of the way, still clicking my camera when I spotted a photo opportunity. The organizers couldn’t understand why there weren’t any instruments or anything.

Granted, they whole YouTube phenomena is a bit difficult to understand if you don’t see the amazing response the guys get from social media.

With the rehearsal finished Nate, Alfie and Jim had individual meet-ups and Joe and Caspar had a joint one. Nate gave me a kiss on the cheek.

“See you later. The meet-up will take a couple of hours. You’ll be fine right?” he asked.

“Yes,” I answered honestly. I could fend for myself. I could go take more photos of the scenery or try to find Emma.

“Abbey,” I heard Niomi call and turned around to find her. “What are you up to now?”

She was standing with Zoe and Tanya who both smiled at me.

“I don’t know, maybe just wandering around. Maybe find my sister,” I explained.

“Would you want to hang out with us? We’re going to my room,” Zoe said.

To my surprise I accepted the invitation without a second thought. I really liked hanging out with Zoe, and Niomi and Tanya seemed so nice as well.

“Come on then,” Zoe laughed and I joined the girl.

Just when we had entered her and Alfie’s hotel room, someone knocked on the door.

It was the boy I had seen on stage with the announcement of TRXYE.