Chapter 34 ● The Promise

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I might have considered it before, but now that you have this, um, injury..." He shook his head. "I need to be with you. And I also need to be at HQ." He gave me a glance as he pulled to a stop at an intersection. "Lo siento, chiquita."

I bit my lower lip so as to not cry out in protest. I wanted to tell him that I wouldn't be alone if I moved in with someone here, that we could pay for my food and board. Maybe Lena Lee's mother could take me. But I also knew the answer to that. We wouldn't impose ourselves on others. And it really was better for my recovery if dad and Miguel split up between taking me to doctors and physiotherapy.

Dean and I were not even officially an item, and I was already going to have to break things off with him.

The drive was short, and dad pulled up in front of the town's ice rink. He helped me out of the car, even though I was fine at least doing that much by myself. I thanked him anyway.

"Are you sure you don't want to come to the game?" I asked him one last time. He shook his head.

"I have to go to work, but text me when you want me to pick you up, okay? I don't want you walking home by yourself."

"I can walk back with the guys," I said. "In fact, I'd rather spend some more time with them if I can."

Dad was about to say no, but he thought better of it and just sighed. He kissed my forehead and said, "Fine, but at least text me when you're leaving for home."

"Okay."

He waved me off as I entered the arena. The place was sure to be packed, and since the hearing at the council had gone on for longer than expected I was late and the first period had already started. I was sure to have to stand the whole rest of the game, but I wondered if they'd let me just sit on the stairs to watch.

As soon as I entered a wave of noise hit me. It was very different to see it from the sidelines, instead of being in the action. Down there, it was hard to tell what people were screaming, or even if they were, sometimes. The blood pumping in my ears did funny things to my perception. It almost felt like it was just us, the players, duking it out by ourselves. It was jarring to see the difference now.

Then again, the level of excitement was also different. Down there I worried about screwing up and not doing a good enough job. Up here I worried about how the guys were doing and that they didn't get injured.

I grabbed the handrail and descended all the way down the stairs to where the best seats where and sat down on the stairs, just behind the Bears bench. I didn't call any attention to myself and just watched. Right now we were 0-0, but I could tell that our guys were dominating slightly. They kept control of the puck for longer, and the problem seemed to be that the opponents' defense was pretty damn solid.

When the first period ended and the guys huddled in the bench to recharge and strategize was when one of them noticed me.

"Charlie?" It was Shane, who quickly nudged the others.

One by one they turned to face me and then they started screaming. As if there was a whole other game going on in the bench and someone had just scored. Except the ruckus was directed at me.

"Well, if it ain't our hero," one of them said.

"Did you succeed in getting us girls in school?" Hunter asked and I rolled my eyes.

"I thought you only wanted Lena Lee," I said. "And how's that going for you?"

He grinned. "We have a date this weekend, but it'd still be cool if I could see her everyday in school, you know?"

Dean elbowed his way clear from the back and leaned one arm against the glass pane that separated us. He looked me up and down and I swear, his gaze alone filled me with warmth.