Chapter Fifty-Eight "With Leah's Help"

Leah came bustling into the room without a knock, "There might be a problem," she whispered closing the door gingerly.

            "What is it?" Isaac inquired as he got to his feet and looked to her, "is Thomas still here?"  I felt my stomach knot in worry.  I stood beside him, holding the book against my chest like it was a shield keeping me safe. 

            "Oh no, Thomas left," she explained with a nod, "but in quite a fit and Papa saw!"  Leah didn't move from the door, as if she expected someone to try to come in right after her.  "He's not thrilled with the current round of antics."

            "Of course he's not," he exhaled as he looked to me and then back to his sister, "Is that all?"

            "No," Leah hesitated, "Mother has been asking what all of the commotion was about and what's going on with Margaret, is she really leaving . . . Papa can hardly keep her in bed."

            "Of course I'm not leaving," I remarked, just the idea seemed ludicrous to me.  I took Isaac's hand in mine, as if that defined everything.

            "But she heard your outburst," Leah responded, "and then Anne came down at her request, and Papa went and told her what you said . . . "

            "Oh," I breathed as the words came back to me. 

            Isaac turned to me, a bit confounded, "I thought you said it was just a . . . "

            "It was," I cut him off quickly, "but I may have said that I was done with all of this and I was writing to my brother to come fetch me."  I looked down so I wouldn't see any hurt in his eyes and noticed that I was clutching the book tightly against me.  Realizing what this book meant, not just to me but to Isaac as well, I loosened my grip and gently cradled it, wishing to keep it with me forever.

            "And then Thomas left in a fit," Leah continued, bringing out attention back to her, "I told Papa that I was going to try to talk to you, to see if I could get you not to leave but I don't know what else to say."

            "That's all right," Isaac nodded, "you've done wonderfully!"  He let go of my hand and started to pace, "You need to get Margaret to her room, don't let anyone see you.  After awhile call for a maid to bring you some chamomile tea and make it seem like you're talking things through . . . convincing her to stay . . . "

            "Is that really necessary?" I laughed.

            "I don't think anyone will sleep if they're worried that you're leaving," he explained, "and just a sudden change that all is fine, that won't sit well either, they'll have questions,"  I had to admit that Isaac was making perfect sense.  "As for me . . . "

            "You can't leave this room," Leah said, "no one should see you at least until morning, unless you can get out and come back in through the front door . . . pretending to be Thomas again."

            "I'll just stay here," he shrugged looking around the room, "the couch is adequate for one night."

            "I can come get you later," Leah offered, happy to be of assistance, "once everyone else is asleep."

            "In that case you should be asleep too," he smiled and nudged her chin, "No, I will be fine.  Then in the morning I will apologize for my rude behavior and ask that you stay," he said returning to me and taking my hand, "hopefully you'll agree."

            "I don't know, I will have to think about it," I teased moving closer to him.  I looked deeply into his eyes and soon I was on my tip toes again, nibbling the corner of my lip.

            Isaac looked down at my feet and smiled, "Still being impatient?"

            "Just kiss her already," Leah squealed as quietly as she could.  I turned towards her and tried to give her an admonishing look, but she just smiled widely, "one kiss and then we must go!"

            I felt Isaac's lips brush my cheek as he leaned close to my ear, "Be a good girl and go with Leah," he whispered softly, "if things move you so tomorrow, I will give you a proper kiss."

            "Do you promise?" I asked as quietly as I could.  I noticed Leah's confusion as she tried to hear what we were saying.

            "I will promise you anything . . . and everything," he took my hand and kissed my palm, "Now go."

            With that Leah grabbed me by the arm and started pulling me into the hallway.  I tried to look back but Isaac was already closing the door.  He looked deep in thought from the brief instant I saw him.  Leah quickly lead us to my room, taking precautions to peer around corners to make sure that no one was about, not even a housemaid.

            Once behind the closed door I sat on the bed, still holding the book against me.  "Are you terribly mad?" Leah asked reluctantly.

            "Why would I be mad?" I answered wistfully.

            Leah looked at me confused again, "Because we kept secrets . . . because of Thomas and Isaac . . . did you really have no idea?"

            "None," I exhaled setting the book beside me, "none at all."

            "And you're not upset?"

            "Well of course I am, on some level," I explained, seeing Leah timidly staying by the door, "It will take time for everything to settle in my mind.  But the truly important thing is that Isaac," I lowered my voice saying his name, "loves me.  He has endured being here, around people who turned him away and stepping into his despicable brother's shoes . . . for me."  Leah nodded, her pretty face etched with sadness.  I took a deep breath, "He would risk a great deal for me.  What more could I ask for?"