Chapter One Hundred One "What Awaits Us"

The return to Somerset seemed to take no time at all. Perhaps it was the shared company of Isaac and Lord Edgehill, or the many questions regarding Leah and Own that made the time pass so fluidly. I tried to present Leah's transformation from a child to a young woman but I could tell that her father was having difficulty with the subject. "Leah's not old enough . . .," Lord Edgehill stammered.

"She's fifteen," Isaac nodded. Reminiscing shadowed his eyes as he smiled before he turned to his father again. "She just turned fifteen."

Lord Edgehill's face blanched, "It's November," he signed. "I missed her birthday," he ran his hand over his forehead, "How could I . . ." he stopped when he looked at us, a small, tight smile painted his lips.

"I think she may forgive us this time," Isaac interjected as he motioned to my ring. "I think she was in favor of this." My eyes rose to meet his, I loved seeing his smile so content.

"But why did she not come with you?"

Lord Edgehill chuckled, "She wanted to, believe me."

"There were already four of us," Isaac explained, "and if we were to return with you, it was a snug fit already." I nodded, understanding.

The moments of quiet that followed allowed for a bit of a recharge. We each seemed to need to mentally prepare for the possibilities of what we would find on our return. When I next looked out the window I saw my childhood home, "We're here," I whispered.

There were lanterns along the approach even though it was hardly evening. Every window framed a lit candle. When they flickered, it appeared as if the house itself was beckoning me to return. I felt a catch in my throat realizing that soon, this would be home no more. "I shall miss you," I breathed as the carriage began to slow.

"What was that, darling?" Isaac pressed closer to look through the window with me.

I turned to smile, "Just that I shall miss this house." I startled, wondering what he would think, "But I will be just as happy, if not more, wherever we live . . . so long as I have you."

He smiled sweetly and kissed my cheek, "We can discuss that later." The carriage came to a stop and Lord Edgehill exited the carriage first. "Let's share our news first, shall we?" Isaac stepped out and extended his hand to me.

As we came closer to the front door, it abruptly pulled open. The sudden burst of light from inside made it difficult to see much more than a silhouette. "Margaret, where have you been?"

Once my eyes adjusted, I recognized the figure, "Jonathon!" I squealed. I let go of Isaac's hand and ran to my youngest brother, wrapping my arms around his neck as he twirled me around. "When did you get back? Where's Emily?"

"We returned just last week, Freddie said you went to Kensington?" He set me to my feet just inside the foyer and before I could undo my coat, I was surrounded by familiar faces. Emily was the next to hug me and I was so overcome I felt the warmth of tears rolling down my cheeks.

I caught my breath once the initial shock of seeing Jonathon and Emily again. I turned about and saw that my entire family was there, waiting for me. Arthur and Lucy were coaxing Isaac in from the doorway although Leah caught him with another hug, "Please, Leah, not so tight," he winced.

She sniffled and nodded before she let go, then turning to her father I noticed that her eyes reddened as she buried her face in his chest. He wrapped his arms around her, "I'm so sorry, Leah. I missed your birthday." It sounded as if he might cry as well.

"It doesn't matter, Papa, so long as we're together again." It was then that I noticed the Nassars joined our reunion, the father and son looking on fondly.