Chapter Twenty-Seven "When the Plan Falters"

If I thought that Patience taking me to the dress shop was exhausting, I was not prepared for Lady Edgehill's version.  There was measuring, of course, but then a parade of samples; there were different silks and satins among the many fabrics that we saw.  If this was just a selection of fabrics, I could hardly imagine the colors that must be available as well.  I mostly followed the Lady's lead, nodding when she did unless there was something I really did not like.  The clothier showed us different hats, slippers and even accompanying jewelry.  While one of her assistants would show their wares, the other would be taking frantic notes of anything that was said.  I had never seen such an operation before in my life, and certainly not in regard to wardrobe choices.  Before the end of our meeting the seamstress asked to watch me walk.  I obliged but I had never felt more self-conscious than in those minutes that I just walked about the room.  After a few turns Lady Edgehill excused Leah and myself while she continued making arrangements, I could only assume for something for her own wardrobe.

            "That was something," I breathed as we entered the hallway, feeling as if I had been holding my breath for a great while.

            "Just wait for the fittings," Leah smiled as she twirled in front of me, "for it must be a perfect fit before Mother is happy."

            "You mean there will be more?" I moaned.

            "Several," she giggled, "and knowing how important you are to her plans, I imagine it's really going to be something."

* * * * *

            Once I decided that I wanted to be the one to tell Thomas about the marriage contract, my nerves became rattled waiting for him.  Leah said that he would not take it well and I was counting on it.  Maybe if he was against it as I was, we could break it.  If we refused, they couldn't force a marriage, could they? 

            The hours passed as I kept vigil at my window waiting for any sign of Thomas. When the clock struck seven I decided to make my way downstairs as supper would be served soon.  Leah was already on the staircase when I joined her, she was looking over the railing and listening, "Mother's planning something," she whispered.

            "Oh?" I asked as I crept silently beside her and leaned over the banister to listen, but I could hardly make out any words.

            "I can't tell what exactly, but she's talking with Papa and he doesn't think it's a good idea," she related quietly. 

            Our eavesdropping was cut short when there was a commotion outside.  Lord Edgehill moved quickly, even beating their steward to the door,  as Leah and I came down the stairs pretending that we were lost in our own discussion.  My heart sank as quickly as it was lifted when I saw Thomas standing there, he looked as he did that first night we were here, completely inebriated.

            "Good evening, Father," he smiled cheerily, "this good man would like to have a word with you!"  He nodded at the older gentlemen beside him, he was a stout, graying man that looked as if he had never smiled a day in his life.  He nodded to Lord Edgehill and gave Thomas a shove inside.

            "I can imagine," Lord Edgehill said disgusted as he looked over his son.  "If you would follow me," he nodded to the other man.  The stranger took off his hat and entered the hall.  Lord Edgehill turned to Thomas, "You wait here." 

            Leah watched from the stairs as her father headed to his study along with the stranger, followed by his wife.  She gave me a quick nod and I ran to Thomas' side, "I need to talk to you," I whispered urgently.

            He looked at me strangely for a moment, "You do?"

            "Yes, there's something I have to tell you," I declared taking his arm and trying to get him to follow me to the library.  When he didn't move I turned back to him only to see him grinning stupidly.

            "Well, there's something I need to tell you too," he simpered.  I let out an impatient sigh before he grabbed me and pulled me to his lips.  My eyes opened wide and I tried to push him away from me but held me tightly.  His kiss was forceful and sloppy, not to mention the smell of spirits were smothering my senses.  I felt my eyes beginning to tear.

            "Thomas!" Leah screamed when she saw the spectacle.

            As he parted from me to look in her direction I felt the involuntary reaction of my hand flying up to his face and striking him across the cheek.  He stumbled back a step and released me from his grasp.  I turned and ran up the stairs as I heard Lady Edgehill coming and inquiring what was happening. 

            Once I reached the top of the stairs I stopped to catch my breath, only to have Patience standing in her doorway, "What on Earth is going on?"

            "Obviously nothing that you care about," I sniffled, "You'd have me marry a cad!" I yelled as I ran to my room and locked the door.  I wondered if my letter had reached Freddie yet.  Faith said that she was going to send it when she left to find Percival.  How long would it take for him to get it and come save me?  Freddie would surely save me, right?  Then my thoughts moved to Percival, I hope Faith doesn't tell you everything.